As a Host where do I enter my rental agreement, short term lease, for the guest to sign

As a Host where do I enter my rental agreement, short term lease, for the guest to sign

I would like my guest to sign a rental agreement.  Where is the rental agreement entered in the airbnb site?

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Thomas3004 I don't believe you can attach a rental agreement. What you will have to do is put in your house rules that the guest must sign the rental agreement before/when they arrive and then copy the entire agreement into the rules. 

Its not pretty (or easy) so it begs the questions

1) Do you really need the agreement?

2) If yes then is Airbnb really the right platform to use.

thank you for your response to my question, something to ponder.

Check the number of reviews this guest has, and if there are none and you're in a desperate modr, tell them they'll be signing a rental agreement upon checking in. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Thomas3004  I have a detailed rental agreement, and the AirBnB website has no specific place to post or attach this for guest review, let alone signing and returning.

(VRBO does allow you to post your rental agreement for guest review but does not provide the means for a guest to sign it.)

What I would suggest is that you make it clear in your AirBnB listing that a rental agreement will be provided and that the guest must sign it prior to receiving the access instructions.  I send my rental agreement to the guest immediately upon booking. 

Fortunately for me, my state (NC) has a Vacation Rental Act that states that as long as I provide the rental agreement, the guest is presumed to have signed it by having paid for the reservation.  I do not know if there is such a proviso for vacation rentals in New Jersey.   Your attorney may be able to clarify this.

Lorna, we are brand new to this and renting 30 day minimum and wanting guests to sign an agreement to protect us from squatter laws.   How do you get their email to send it since we are not supposed to take the convo off of airbnb?  or do you provide a link to Docusign or something like that? 

Also wondering if you are willing to share how you craft the lease agreement since airbnb takes the payment(s).

Anything else you can offer up as advice or recommendations? 

@Tyler-And-Lisa0   I don't rent for more than 2 weeks on AirBnB as I do not want any guest to be able to claim residency, so I do not have any issues with payment through AirBnB.

Use the professional tools to be able to accept a guest and then obtain their email link via the AirBnB website.  You can then send your docusign rental agreement to the guest via your personal or business email and they can send it back to you.  I would then copy any and all conversations into the AirBnB message board.

My lease agreement was written with the assistance of a lawyer in my rental state.  I would suggest that you do the same to be assured that you have a binding legal document.  

Please note that AirBnB will only take the first month's rent at booking -- all subsequent months are paid at intervals -- and guests have been known to reneg or disable their credit card accounts.  Be wary.

Thank you for replying and sharing.  We want the rental agreement sign for the same reason.

We do have a lease written according to our state laws.  

I must have overlooked the professional tools🤔 where can I find them?

@Tyler-And-Lisa0 to switch on pro tools go into your account (not listing) and you will find an option there.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Since to me the main objective of guest-host  'agreements' is to make a potential guest aware of certain realities of my offering and convey some parameters to guest expectations, I use the 'The Space' section "Other Things to Know' in the property description section of Airbnb to try to achieve those objectives.

In my experience, being in the hosting business requires more finesse than some too-formal legal agreement whose clauses are oftentimes non-enforceable and maybe off-putting.

@Fred13   I can agree with you, but too many guests do not read beyond the first paragraph or cannot locate the areas where AirBnB has placed pertinent guest information.  Cudos to using your space wisely.

In my case, I am required by the rental laws of my state to provide an actual Rental Agreement to my guests (STR) and tenants (LTR).  AirBnB does not provide a means to do this, so I am left with emailing it to the guest and going forward from there.  

You are so right, in that they do not read more than the first paragraph. I do find myself re-sending the pertinent information before arrival and also warning the 'leader', who made the reservation that whomever they invite reads this:

" Important to note that over the years we have added many new amenities to the island in a conscious effort to make it's experience for our guests that much better. The commitment from it's start has been to be an affordable, comfortable off-grid get away with a freedom to do as you please while staying in it. It is not a resort nor pretending to be one. There are enough formal, fully catering and by far super expensive resorts available in the world already, so if luxury is your main interest please look elsewhere; but if relaxing, having fun and being free is what you are after, you will definitely be coming to the right place as one can surmise from the hundreds of very kind and grateful reviews we have received over the last 7 years."

nice!  thank you for your feedback.

thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.