Foreign owned property in Los Angeles

Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Foreign owned property in Los Angeles



Do you know if Los Angeles allows foreign owners that are not residents nor citizens to do home-sharing?


Basically I'm Canadian and only stay at my place in LA for a few months a year. I would never rent it long term cause then I couldn't go.


From this doc:


It says that to qualify for home-sharing, you need to show an ID (I'd use my Canadian passport) but also then 2 things from a list of stuff like California voter card (i dont have that), paycheque (i don't work in USA), etc. 


I meet one of the requirements "A copy of a current property tax bill indicating homeowner’s exemption" so that is cool


But it seems I need one more. I'm wondering how strict it is, cause it's my primary residence in USA (ie. I dont have another property in LA), I just go back to Canada after the winter.


Anyone have an experience with this?

3 Replies 3

 If you’re a Canadian, you can’t stay in the country without a visa (extended time period) and you can’t get a job without an immigration visa, BUT you are entitled to passive income. This is what kept me afloat in grad school. You need to declare this income and file a US tax return. As well, you need to file on with Revenue Canada. The answer to your question is YES, but be sure to pay your taxes. 

Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually from what @Spencer196   Posted the answer is no @Christine2855 


It depends on LA STR regulations not on whether you are allowed a 'passive income' 

That’s a given Helen. In the US, each municipality or properties in unincorporated counties have their own rules. I haven’t seen anyone restrict Canadians from passive income in the US. Have you? 

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay