Has anyone successfully submitted a host liability insurance claim for damage

Graham449
Level 2
Providence, RI

Has anyone successfully submitted a host liability insurance claim for damage

We have two airbnb listings in the same building. A couple of weeks ago the guest in our first floor listing had a large party that went out of control and one of their guests they had over significantly damaged the car of the 2nd floor guest. The host liability insurance supposedly covers damage caused by guests to parked cars. Both us and the guest have tried multiple times to submit a host liability insurance claim for the damaged vehicle. We have been told a claim has been submitted and that an adjuster would be in touch soon. We've heard nothing in the last two weeks, our emails have gone unanswered and the calls redirected to no further response. 

Our question here has anyone had any experience with submitting a host liability claim (NOT AIR COVER, we've submitted an air cover request before and that seems to be a different process, at least it's handled internally and not by a 3rd party). I'm referring to the actual alleged insurance Airbnb says they offer. 

Another question if the Airbnb insurance is this unreliable what are you other hosts doing for insurance? I have heard having a STR insurance policy can be very expensive but if we have an even worse incident at our property with even greater property damage i'm concerned airbnb will leave us hanging out to dry and our normal insurance policy may refuse to cover if they find out it was rented out as a short term rental. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thank you

4 Replies 4
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

You are opening yourself up to major liability issues if you do not have homeowners insurance that also covers STR.

I had Foremost for many years and switched to USAA when I married a man from a military family. 
Hopefully this damaged car issue works out through that person’s insurance 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Graham449 last time I read the liability insurance it only applies if the host is found legally liable for the car damage. Are you liable?????

I'm not liable in this situation but it was my understanding that the Airbnb insurance covers damage from guests or their invitees and they just recently updated it to cover parked vehicles. As I'm reading it though Aircover may actually be the correct way to process this issue and not the insurance. It is disconcerting though that we haven't received any reply from the insurance at all in two weeks even if it was to tell us they won't cover the claim or to ask more questions on the incident. It makes you feel as though this insurance they claim to have is just a facade and if some serious issue were to come up us hosts would be left out to dry unless we have our own STR policies. 

Following.