Higher provisions costs

Bert8952
Level 1
Leiden, The Netherlands

Higher provisions costs

We thought the costs for services is 15% and for the host 6%.  We see now that this is higher? We had a reservation request and the guest asked why the price was so different the second time when he was trying to book? We looked at the invoice and saw nothing strange but after we accept the booking the service costs went higher? from 138 to 171 euro? We are not happy about this, now the total amount for each booking is very high for the guests.

What is happening?

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Bert8952The Airbnb guest service charge is not a fixed percentage: it's up to 20%.  I honestly wouldn't engage the guest in discussions about it: it has nothing to do with you, and there is nothing you can do about it. I would advise the guest to contact Airbnb directly if there is a discrepancy.

I would guess that the price likely changed because your guest was probably just looking at your nightly rate rather than the overall cost including service charges and cleaning fees. 

26% for airbnb total each booking is a lot! 

@Bert8952  It is a lot, but I agree with @Alexandra316  that it's best to avoid getting into the weeds of that topic with your guests.

It's been my experience a few times lately as a guest, that I've considered booking a place through Airbnb but ultimately found the exact same place listed elsewhere with a much lower total price. From the guest perspective, I can't think of any "service" Airbnb offers that is worth that discrepancy. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bert8952 Some of that is tax