Home sharing license apply before 1 April 2023

Brenda1259
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Home sharing license apply before 1 April 2023

I want to apply the license for home share. How can I do? And I the host is my preferred name but the taxer is my husband’s account 

14 Replies 14
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

HI Brenda, your city has some strict regulations getting tighter in past 1-2-3 years; best idea would be to get a proper answer from the horse's mouth, speak with The Edinburgh Council for this slight discrepancy and make records of their replies. 

https://keynest.com/blog/airbnb-regulations-in-edinburgh

Brenda1259
Level 2

I just started half months. Because the account is my name for host . The taxer is my husband’s account,so do I need open the other for my husband to run Airbnb host. He is the taxer because his account is received the payout. After that I will apply home stay license. But I don’t know where to find the person ti certificate my gas and electricity are in good condition. Please help me how to do. Thanks!

Brends

@Brenda1259 

Some thoughts:

When did you start hosting? If it was after 1/October/2022 then you can't operate without a licence - Lets assume it was before 1/1022  in which case you need a licence by April 2023.

Just because the money is paid into your husbands account it does not mean he is liable for the tax. If you share the ownership of the property then you will both be liable for tax on 50% of the income minus expenses. 

If your revenue is less than £7500 per year then there is no tax to pay if you qualify for the Governments rent a room scheme

The last two thoughts definitely apply in England - You need to check Scotland is the same.

Hi Sir, 

That means I cannot receive guests now until I apply the license of home sharing because I  run this business starting on 3/12/2022. I need to put my account on unlist  position right?  If I apply the license successfully , I can post again. Then can you tell me the name of apply is used my husband  name(his account received money) or with me two persons names? The house is owned by my husband and me. And if I get licence, do we both added two National insurance in your tax and vat column for tax and vat paid.right? It is so doubts for me. Can you give me more information about to apply license for home sharing. Thanks a lot!

Brenda

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/licences-permits/licences-permits-applications/9 This link takes you to the Edinburgh Council website information on STLs and should answer all your questions.

When you come to do a tax return, there will be help sections you can refer to. If you need help, use an accountant. But as you can't trade until you have planning consent and an STL licence, you have plenty of time to find out everything.

@Brenda1259 you really need an accountant. In England you don't register and charge VAT until your income is over £85000 per year so I am sure you will be below this if you are sharing your home.

I would apply for any licence in both your names as you both own the house.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

How do I get a gas safety certificate in Scotland?

Landlords who wish to obtain a Gas Safety Certificate should contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out the necessary checks and maintenance required. The safety checks keep landlords compliant with the law and help keep tenants safe from gas-related illnesses and injuries.

Try this guys - Brenda,

Address: Energy Certificates Scotland Ltd.
Hartfield House, 1 Racecourse View, Ayr KA7 2TS

Telephone: 01418161235 or 01292435354

or this one

https://www.energycertscotland.com/gas-cp12.php

[british gas, scotish power, anyone will do ]

Brenda1259
Level 2

OK, I will try. Thanks a lot!

Brenda1259
Level 2

I want to apply the license for home share. How can I do? And I the host is my preferred name but the taxer is my husband’s account 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you checked the information on Edinburgh Councils's website. As you want your husband to pay tax why not put the application in his name @Brenda1259 

Brenda1259
Level 2

Hello Helen3,

Nice to chat with you. I feel doubts to apply license for home sharing. Have you gotten the license? Do you have experience to teach me how to do? Thanks a lot!

@Brenda1259

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Brenda1259 

As you can see on my profile I'm based in Bristol not Scotland so don't need licensing.

Have you read the information on the Edinburgh Council website around STR regulations. https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/licences-permits/licences-permits-applications/9#:~:text=Edinburgh%20Co....

What is it about the application process that you are unclear about?

Brenda1259
Level 2

Hi Helen3,

It sounds great. In your city don’t need licensing. I have read the information and need what certificates to apply. It need much money to apply the license. I consider whether to apply or not. Thanks for your concern. 

@Brenda 1259