How to manage kayak rental

Ulli7
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

i’m considering renting out a kayak or two on the lake the cabin property borders onto. How would that work with Airbnb. If there was damage on the kayak would that be covered under AIRBNB insurance? and how would you charge? Would you put in a request for money for Airbnb? Does anybody have any experience with that?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ulli7 I would worry far more about the liability issues rather than Kayak damage. I would certainly not rely on Aircover for either.

You need o read the term for Aircover but someone once said it didn't cover things removed from the listing so I guess a Kayak is not covered once it leaves the house.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Ulli7 You can find the terms @Mike-And-Jane0 mentioned on the Host Damage Protection Terms page and the Host Liability Insurance Program Summary page. Kayaks would fall under "watercraft" so you could search for that word to quickly get to the relevant parts, though I'd recommend reading the whole page. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ulli7   You may be much better off (and covered by insurance) if you provided a local kayak rental place for your guests to call rather than providing them with kayaks.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Two separate issues, Airbnb is in the hosting business and perhaps is best to keep that aspect separate and as simple as possible. Kayaks or such supportive items are like a rented car, are not part of staying in the listing. We rent all kinds of things, and our guests go on all kinds of tours, we collect for such things outside of Airbnb to not complicate matters.

I could just imagine calling Airbnb and trying to collect from them for damage to a kayak (a bit hard to do) that is being used in a lake that has little to do with the actual property.