Short Term rentals & planning permission Ireland

Emma2833
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

Short Term rentals & planning permission Ireland

Hello fellow hosts, 

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on Planning permission etc in regards to Rent Pressured Zones & short term rentals? 

Thank you. 

5 Replies 5
Michael-O-Reilly0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Meenderry, Ireland

Hi @Emma2833 , Just in relation to your question regarding planning permission and Rent pressure zones, currently only certain areas of the country are considered to be in Rent pressure zones, you can open the link below and enter your listing Eircode and this  will show if your in a RPZ area.

https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz-legacy

i have included the link below regarding the rules for short term rentals in relation to planning permission.

These regulations will probably change in the next few weeks or months so  I would recommend that you monitor the website for any new updates.. 

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/renting_your_property_for_sh...

Best wishes Michael

Do we assume if my property is in an PRZ, which it is,  that it will not gain the necessary licence? Is my Airbnb journey essentially over? 

Leonard13
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

Do you still need approval if only doing Airbnb for less than 90 days?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you look at the link in the post above yours to the Irish gov information on STRs it should give you the information you need @Leonard13 

Eimear7
Level 2
County Galway, Ireland

Hello, I would like to rent out my house on airbnb. Entire home, all year around. The house is in Connemara and is not in a rent pressure zone. I called Galway county council and spoke to two separate people and both said that I would need to apply for planning permission, even if it was not in a RPZ. I called Dublin city council and they thought that I would not need planning permission. The links above say the same. Confused! Any advice appreciated. Thank you.