What type of insurance should I have for my STR?

Answered!
Lucy578
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

What type of insurance should I have for my STR?

I was informed by my insurance company that I wasn’t allowed to list my room as it would void my complete home insurance. The company recommended another company that covers Airbnb who were going to charge an additional £500 on top of my existing premium , given I rent a room out for approximately £50 and mainly only weekends I felt it was a bit high. Can anyone recommend and insurance company I could try for a quote please. 
kind regards Lucy

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Lucy578 

Yes you are correct you can't use domestic home insurance when running an STR business.

And business insurance will always be higher as there is more risk involved.

Admiral is one insurance company you can use in the UK  for STRs, but I would speak to a broker and get quotes based on your circumstances @Lucy578 

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27

Hi Sean,

I just emailed you. I need some help and guidance - can we set up a chat?

Marie7629
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Sean

do you still operate as a broker for  companies that deal with Airbnb properties?

I’d love some help with this. We can’t find any co to insure our home for the summer as we rent it out on air bandb 

Sean140@.

Hi Sean,

I live in NY and am looking for an insurer for my Airbnb.  Can you help? Thank you,  Linda **

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

hello,

How can someone get in contact with you? 

Joseph1481
Level 2
Blacksburg, VA

I contacted my US insurance agent who stated that my homeowner's policy, good for up to a million dollars, would be just fine. But, he suggested a get an umbrella policy for about ten bucks more a month, which I am going to do. And this refers to a camping site/deck below my home on a separate structure. 

Hi @Joseph1481 , that surprises me! What's the insurance company? I am currently shopping around, my policy rental is coming up and American Modern is just getting very pricy. I am hoping to find something a little cheaper.  Regular home insurances don't cover short term rentals. Make sure you have that in your policy that's ok, you do not want to find out the hard way. 

Andy2843
Level 2
Prestwick, United Kingdom

Hi @Lucy578 , how did you get on . I’m literally new as new could be to this and I asked admiral who do my domestic insurance to add on but they said no . Did you have any luck or did you go elsewhere? Andy 

Jane3162
Level 2
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom

Yes I’ve read some bad news about Airbnb insurance ‘cover’ . I think this needs looking at by Airbnb. I’ve just had to take out extra cover.like you I just rent out two rooms for around £50. If the Airbnb doesn’t give proper insurance it doesn’t work. How can they say they provide cover when they don’t ? There are too many loopholes!

Sally876
Level 1
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

I agree it is a total nightmare.  I live in Cheltenham UK so rent the whole house out in March for Race week then weekends through the year.  The first year I told our insurers and it went up by about £200 . Fair enough I thought.  Last year we didn't do airbnb because of covid. Just trying to renew our insurance and it had to be changed back to the one we took out 2 years ago.  This time it is £500 more than our usual house insurance as the first year was a favour.

Airbnb say they cover you for 1000000 $ and I phoned to check that this was for the house as well and this was confirmed.  SO today I just took out the usual house insurance and it all went through smoothly so I thought I was covered.  A last minute phone call from the broker who told me the agent who sold it had made an error and I am not covered and no ordinary insurance policy will cover letting your house out.  So I am stuck with paying the extra £500. That is with plum insurance!

I cant understand what the Airbnb insurance is all about as surely we cant claim off home insurance and them.

Rita2301
Level 1
Renton, WA

I am in Seattle WA. I have a airbnb in my home. lower level. We live upstairs. Can anyone recommend a insurance company?

Meena1
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Is there an insurance company in Canada that covers STR s?

Anna12526
Level 1
Highland Park, IL

Hi Lucy. I recommend Proper insurance. They always understand what I am talking about and provide comprehensive insurance. The service team member I use is  Tim Lazarewicz.

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]