Airbnb Categories - Why Not Cycling?

Dave1235
Level 1
Aurora, CO

Airbnb Categories - Why Not Cycling?

I like Airbnb's new category feature allowing more focused searching.  Would like to see a category added for cycling travelers. 

I'm aware of many folks searching for cycling friendly accommodations,  but are unable to easily filter and locate rentals meeting minimal requirements.

Here are the must have requirements for cycling travel:

-Bike storage (locked garage)

-Laundry

-Close access to bike trails/routes

Even better:

-Bike hooks in garage

-Maps/directions front rental to nearby bike trails/routes

-Area to wash bikes

-Recommendations for healthy food options.

10 Replies 10
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Dave1235  this is actually a great idea for a category! Although I don't know if you've tried using categories, once you input a location the option for categories disappears. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Dave1235 

I have hosted many travellers who bring their bikes. I don't have most of the amenities you mention.

Guests leave their bikes indoors in my house.

I think your requirements are more related to those who are staying to go out on countryside biking trails.

I live in the city so many of your requirements aren't needed.

I agree that it would be a useful function to indicate which hosts accept bikes.

I live in the city 

@Helen3 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and for hosting bike travelers.

The requirements I listed apply to all locations, as many cities have added and are adding a network of bike paths and lanes.  

Being able to store bikes inside is very helpful as most cycling travelers have thousands invested and are worried about theft.  An upgrade would be to offer racks or hooks to more efficiently store bikes inside a laundry, utility room, or basement.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Dave1235 

That's a really cool idea.

We get lots of cyclists in my local area (Glentress and Tweed Valley are super popular with MTB) so I can see how this would be useful.

I have passed your feedback over to the team, for future consideration.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello @Jenny 

Thank you for passing my comments to your team!

Here is some additional reference to share with your team...

I search for cycling (road, gravel, MTB) friendly accommodations throughout the year in Colorado (my home state) and throughout the western US.  I have many friends and acquaintances doing the same.   Also, during the winter months there's a large contingent of cyclists seeking warm weather cycling friendly accommodations in AZ.  During the summer months, many southern US cyclists seek cooler cycling weather accommodations in Colorado.

When searching for cycling friendly accommodations, I have to take extra steps to identify rentals such as:

-Ask hosts if they have secure storage space for bikes (most don't show garage or storage pictures).

-Since the rental address is unknown while searching, I have to spend extensive time on google maps guessing if the rental offers safe access to cycling trails/routes. 

Peter3852
Level 1
Port Orchard, WA

Yes Dave, I totally agree. I have toured all over the world on my bicycle and use Airbnb a lot for lodging. It would be incredibly helpful if the listings noted specific information related to bicycle touring. My next trip is my third trip to Cuba and I have listed "Help for the Cuban People" as my required trip purpose. What I do is write up a list of helpful tips to make Casa Particulars more "bicycle friendly", and then share them with the hosts. I try to convince them that they should make their listings more friendly to bicycle tourists, including the following:

1. Note if you have safe storage for bicycles at night.
  2. Have a list and maps of local day rides in your area.
  3. Have some common bike tools, common-sized inner tubes, a bike repair stand, an air pump and etc.
  4. Note nearby restaurants, grocery stores, and if you would provide breakfast, lunch, or dinners at your place, for a price. 
  5. Note if you can store luggage while the cyclist is on tour.
  6. Note if you can provide transportation for luggage and bicycle from/to the local airport.

Cheers, Peter 

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Great points!

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Dave1235 ,

Great idea!

I offer a garage to store guests' bikes (surfboards, golf bags, baby strollers, etc). Guests love access to a garage! 

Our property (a private home) is located on Cape Cod where cycling is very popular and a huge attraction for cycling events as well as the beach.

Great idea! Will think what i can do about the bikes

Lesley-Erica0
Level 1
Murlo, Italy

Hi Dave. I'm new to hosting but we are in a fabulous area of Tuscany (Italy) for cyclists and we're doing everything we can to make our apartment bike friendly. I'm also astounded that there isn't a category for this. They have batting cage and arcade games but no cycling?! Can't we start a petition/drive/organised request to airbnb to add this??