I'd like to do a one-time hosting of my apartment but am unsure if I need to clear everything out of it or not...

Samantha1035
Level 1
Vienna, VA

I'd like to do a one-time hosting of my apartment but am unsure if I need to clear everything out of it or not...

My roommate and I would like to rent our apartment out for two weekends. We would not plan on being in the apartment so that we can offer "entire place" on Airbnb. Do we need to clear out all of our personal things from my apartment- ie: food in the pantry/cabinets, clothes from the closet, medicine from my medicine cabinet. I'm wondering if I can just let my guests know what spaces are private and what spaces are for them to use. What is the best way to protect our things and let the guests use our apartment to their comfort in this situation?

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Samantha1035 

Before attempting to answer your question, I just wanted to check if you own the apartment or are renting it. If the latter, do you have your landlord's permission to let it out on Airbnb? I don't know about Austria, but here in the UK, most leases strictly prohibit subletting and it's technically illegal. I would consider that before anything else. 

If you are the owner, that of course is another matter...

We are renting and though we are not allowed for long term, our landlord is letting us do it this one time while we are away. There is a big event coming to the neighborhood and lots of people will be coming in from out of town, so we’d like to offer our apartment on Airbnb. 

im wondering though, since it is short term, and so that we don’t have to move all of our food and things out of the space, can we list it as “entire apartment” or does it fall under “private room with shared spaces” …