I’m considering hosting in the UK

I’m considering hosting in the UK

I own a property in Sheffield UK and the tenant who leases the property is leaving in august. I was thinking of trying Airbnb out but worried during the colder months it won’t bring as much money in as the lease does. It currently pays for my mortgage, can anyone settle my worries and recommend that it’s worth the risk?

thanks for the help

tom x

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No-one can settle your worries. Having an STR is always a risk that you won't generate income to cover your costs.

You need to do some market research put together a profit and loss budget with ALL your set up and projected ongoing costs.

Estimate how much you can charge out at by doing some market research on similar listings locally.

Estimate how many nights a week you are likely to be able to get bookings for 

You can then use this information to estimate your gross profits. Subtract ALL your costs and this will give you net profit (obviously allow for tax on your profits).

@Tom3485 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Tom3485   This is a difficult one because I think many are seeing a downturn in reservations due to several reasons which include, but are not exclusive to, the current economic crisis, an increased number of holiday let’s (up 40% according to the BBC since 2019?), the ability post pandemic to travel more widely… and also Airbnb’s Summer rollout which does seem to be causing issues for many hosts.  We let our family home (we live in rented accommodation further away due to employment) via Airbnb as we plan to retire there and it also allows us to use it ourselves.  It is mortgage free so we don’t panic too much if it is not fully booked.  However, bills still need paying.. council tax, water, broadband etc etc. So as long as these costs are covered we don’t get stressed.  

Increased energy costs, particularly as they will more than likely go up again in October, are a real concern.  Moving forward you could list your property with a ‘fair usage’ policy to prevent those ‘energy bandits’ taking advantage.  For example, we had a long term let earlier in the year (8 weeks between house move) and we discounted based on us paying all the fixed costs and the guest paying unit prices only (not standing daily charge) for actual units used.  Photos taken of meter(s) on day of check in and then monthly after that with payment via the resolution centre.  The first month they paid nearly £160 for units used… the second month it was £95.

Airbnb can bring in a good income, but if you really need to rely on it to cover your bills then I would suggest caution.  Look at similar listings in your area, what they charge and their calendar availability.  Historically we have always been booked comfortably but are seeing our listing viewings drop dramatically and from October onwards (most before that was booked before May) we have had little or no interest.

Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kate867 wrote:

Moving forward you could list your property with a ‘fair usage’ policy to prevent those ‘energy bandits’ taking advantage.  For example, we had a long term let earlier in the year (8 weeks between house move) and we discounted based on us paying all the fixed costs and the guest paying unit prices only (not standing daily charge) for actual units used.  Photos taken of meter(s) on day of check in and then monthly after that with payment via the resolution centre.  The first month they paid nearly £160 for units used… the second month it was £95.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I would definitely try this with longer stays if I rented out an entire unit rather than a shared listing.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Tom3485 That sounds like a very exciting adventure! I hope the amazing advice from @Kate867 and @Helen3 has been helpful. 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen