Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

So, Airbnb introduced a long-expected Pet fee...

BUT... I just realized there is a catch...

hosts can only set a pet fee per booking..... not per day .... and not per pet! 

Pet fee is NOT multiplied by the number of pets! Guests can book for up to 5 pets.... and pay only one pet fee

SORRY AIRBNB BUT THIS IS NOT GONNA WORK... we will stop accepting pets until Airbnb change this nonsense

@Quincy 

71 Replies 71

It seems blatantly obvious to me that this new pet fee has absolutely zero to do with hosts asking for a pet fee for years. If it did, they would have added a pet fee that worked like an extra guest fee a long time ago.

Why this new pet fee option was instituted, as I see it, is because so many guests want to travel with their pets now ( many of which were "pandemic puppies", something to relieve the boredom of lockdowns and isolation). That's the only reason that it was introduced, and all of the way it works is obviously geared to please guests, not hosts.

Not to mention all the service fees Airbnb will collect on their pet fee option.

@Sarah977  obviously you are right.

Airbnb collects service fees on the Cleaning fee as well, and OK, I have no problem with it.

But,  the Pet fee should either be a one-time, separately charged fee like the Cleaning fee (nonrefundable if the guest checks-in and then cancel or shorten his stay)..... or.... it should be charged per day, the same as an extra guest fee (partially refunded if the guest shortens his stay).

Of course, the host should be allowed to choose how he wants it to be charged, per stay or per day.

The way it is now it is total nonsense.

Diane1173
Level 2
Morongo Valley, CA

And now all of the sudden we are getting all of these 'emotional support animals' in the past few weeks, forcing us not to charge a pet fee.  Airbnb seems to go out of their way to put the idea in the guest's head that they can have their pet stay for free by using this term which carries no proof with it.

@Diane1173  I am not surprised the number of ESA and ADA increased with Airbnb suggestion of how their pet can stay for free. 

I've put back the "pet-friendly" option but only for one of my listings, not for all of them. I didn't set the price on Airbnb but I wrote that I charge a pet fee per dog per stay. But, the first time someone mentions ESA or ADA without giving me any proof I will change it to pet-unfriendly again.

It's a pity, we were always pet friendly and we have a dog as well but what ABB did is totally wrong and contra-productive.

Lane190
Level 2
Terrigal, Australia

Just had guest try to book under that pretence that her dog was an 'Anxiety Dog'... WTF is that???

That's a real thing. You can ask to see her the ESA letter from her physician and ask to see the ESA's training certificate. Lots of people say they have an emotional support animal, but real ESAs are prescribed by a physician. Not all ESAs have specialized training, but the really should in my opinion. There are letter scams and training certificate scams too, so look them up once you get the documents to verify it's  real. In the US, denying access to someone with a disability, including diagnosed anxiety, is considered discrimination. 

Farm Diva

Emotional Support Animal. In the USA they do not have any legal protections and are considered pets. Not sure what Australia considers them to be.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi everyone

I just wanted to pop into this thread as I can see there's been a recent reply.

In some jurisdictions, legal requirements may expand or limit the reasonable accommodation a Host must provide. Hosts and guests must comply with these legal requirements.

The USA has two states where ESA have legal protections - New York state and California.

You can find Airbnb's Accessibility Policy here which sets out expectations for both Service Animals and Emotional Support dogs, and confirms the legal requirement to accept an ESA in the above states.

Thanks!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

John89
Level 3
Fort Frances, Canada

I have been harping about this EVERY single conversation with airbnb about this. I can't for the life of me figure out why this hasn't been fixed yet!!  This is the most non sensical policy i have ever seen... I want to email Brian Chesky himself.  This is NOT in airbnb's interest to have this policy.  I would like to see the stats on complaints to airbnb since the roll out.  I'd put money on it, that there has been a huge spike.  As a host if I put a pet fee of 100$ and guests want to stay 2 nights we, airbnb and myself, would loose that sale. If I put it at 10$ and they stay 10 nights I get a dollar a night. Ridiculous!  Then to think of all the potential conflict with guests as they think that fido was going to cost them 10$ instead of a 100.  NOT a SMART business policy to piss off guests.  Then I have to follow up on almost EVERY SINGLE booking.  This new pet fee is WORSE than not having one and simply state in the house rules your pet fee.  No confusion that way.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I love Airbnb but this is dumb

Maegan8
Level 1
Windham, ME

We completely agree with this. The pet fee should be per pet or you should be able to set a limit on the number/type of pets. We changed ours to pet friendly and someone brought three dogs. We will also be switching back to non-pet friendly until Airbnb changes this.

I independently called Airbnb about this very topic of pet fees 3 times over the past roughly 2 years…. Inculing again last just last week. All three Airbnb staff that I spoke with told almost in the same wording that I was the first person they are aware that had ever raised these issues in particular not being able to charge a per pet per night fee.  I followed up with a couple page written letter that after 3 weeks was never responded to so I decided to start a thread on the “community” and someone was nice enough to share the link to this thread.  I at asked that at the very least that they please defend or support their current pet policy because no matter how many times I think about it, it simply makes no sense and is BAD for our mutual business!  I sincerely request again here that Airbnb address this issue. Thank you.

Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

It looks like a lot of hosts aren't charging much for pets. I set my per trip pet fee at $65 for up to two pets. $60 is what my local carpet cleaner charges for a room. Of course, there are other things to clean  and longer stays or more animals mean more opportunities for messes. It would be nice to have more flexibility around this. 

I just reread the policy and where we are we can charge for ESAs unless it has a training certificate. 

Farm Diva