check out procedures

Josh1450
Level 2
Mascoutah, IL

check out procedures

What are your checkout procedures?

I just had a guest complain about mine:

- wash dirty dishes (put away dry, or leave in rack wet).

- strip beds, put linens in washer

- towels in washer

- adjust thermostat

- empty trash

Is that unreasonable?

Thanks,

Josh

35 Replies 35
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I do think it's unreasonable to ask your guests to strip beds and put linens/towels in washer

surely you want your cleaning crew to check linens and towels for stains before being my put in the wash?

Dont you have linens/towels on separate washes ie different temperatures?

What sort of cleaning fee do you charge? @Joshua

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Josh1450 Yes, it is unreasonable. As a guest, I’m not vacationing to strip beds, put laundry in washer, or put dishes away. 

I only have one thing in my checkout rules—please leave key on coffee table and lock bottom lock when exiting. 

And out of the 14 guests I’ve had to-date, all have left my unit clean and tidy; and I don’t even charge a cleaning fee. I do count my lucky stars. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

I've only stayed in four airbnbs, but at three out of the four, there were no check out instructions other than leaving the key. At the other, there was only one thing we needed to do, which was take out the trash and for good reason as we were in Athens in the summer so it was sweltering, there is a risk of roaches, and also you put toilet paper in the bin because the plumbing can't handle it. Still, the people in my group who were not also hosts, really didn't even want to do that. 

I think very few guests are going to appreciate a list of chores, but I guess it's not unusual. The last guest who booked with me has written in her profile "I am the kind of guest who will strip the beds, take out the trash, and leave the sink clear of dishes when I leave."  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I've stayed in Airbnbs/vacation rentals in Europe, Central and North America, and the Caribbean.  They were all self-catering spaces, comfortable for our needs and moderately priced.  All of them had some sort of checkout instructions that were more than just leave the keys on the table.  Some of the cleanup requests included: run the dishwasher/wash used dishes, take out the trash, pile towels in that bathroom or hamper, and tidy up spills and crumbs.  None requested that sheets be stripped or to run a load of laundry.  

I think that the viewpoint of host responses to this post is influenced by the type of stays they typically accommodate.  Those that usually host only holidays in vacation destinations probably will not have the same checkout list as those who host long-term stays in home-shares or self-catering apartments.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

I think that while the length of stay can affect the check out instructions, I suspect that often it's less to do with that than the accommodation offered, the host's/cleaners' schedules and the climate/environment etc.

When I hosted short stays/tourists (and I hosted hundreds of them before switching to long term), my check out instructions were no different.

Lily489
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Hi Josh, 

I do not ask guests to do any but %50 of my guests seem to follow your rules in my house, so it must be common set of rules.

Some guests are kind and treat the house as they would want it to be treated if they were hosts. 

Unfortunately, some believe they pay four season rates to you and want to use, abuse and cause much inconvenience and havoc. 

They all come with 5 stars! 

Bottom line is your house your rules.