Critique my listing: Matt48445, Catskills NY

Matt4845
Level 2
New York, NY

Critique my listing: Matt48445, Catskills NY

Hi Everyone! New Airbnb Host up in the Catskills in NY, and I would love some feedback on my listing. The place is renting like gangbusters through July and August, but is really slow for the rest of the year. Any feedback or advice on new bookings, dealing with guests who are disrespectful and how to get more positive reviews would be huge! 6247E425-9198-4F95-AF6D-759466098EF1_1_201_a.jpeg

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/561598359037667451?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=3daee747-dfcc...

3 Replies 3

@Matt4845   That's a really gorgeous listing you have there! Your descriptions are thorough and well-written, your photos are beautifully lit, and the reviews so far show that guests have been super happy.

But ok, I can see one obvious reason that bookings are slowing down after August. Your listing is completely optimized for summer bookings, with its front-loaded focus on the pool, and that's worked out well. But even though there's still more hot weeks to come, when people are looking ahead to their plans for autumn and winter in the Catskills, they're not thinking of cooling off in the pool anymore. They're thinking quiet, warm, cozy. This is a good time to gradually move those pool pics to the back of the queue until next spring, and start foregrounding the Hygge elements of the cabin more. Show off the fire pit, and pull in a shot of the patio swaddled in autumn color. Your minimum stay automatically rules out the casual/spontaneous weekenders (for good reason), so most of the people left in your target group have already squared away their September plans. You've got to be a few steps ahead of them.

How to deal with disrespectful guests? Leave Instant Book off. Those people tend to reveal themselves early enough in the conversation that you can simply decline them.

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Hi Matt - we also have a place in Catskill and I can tell you the number of Airbnbs have tripled in the last 2 years. Fortunately out area has become very popular, but unfortunately the competition has increased.

That said, your property is beautiful. One thing I would add is night stands in the bedrooms and bigger rugs. And like Andrew mentioned, add some foliage  photos from your beautiful back yard.. and maybe a firepit.

Matt4845
Level 2
New York, NY

Thank you for the positive feedback Don and Emily. I agree the area is blowing up and competition is getting stiffer, though I figured having the pool was one of those elements that might separate me from the pack. Still learning my prime season and how to transition to the cooler months.

Yes you are correct, the house still needs a few items, i.e., night stands and some more artwork etc. A few larger rugs for the bedrooms might also be in order for sure. Planning on working on a fire pit this weekend. Thanks for taking the time!