Critique my listing

Linn118
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Critique my listing

Hi, I have been hosting for two months, and I am really enjoying it and hope I can continue. However, I have hardly any bookings in September and the following months, am I doing something wrong, or should I just be patient? Any tips, advice, critique would be highly appreciated. 

Best, Linn.

20 Replies 20
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linn118 some areas books months in advance others much later especially out of high season. Have you gone onto Airbnb as a guest and searched for properties close to yours? This will help you decide if your price is competitive or not.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I have looked at my competition, and I think my price is right. But it is hard to know. I put it lower once, and someone asked me if there was something wrong since it was so cheap. I think it is tricky to find the right price, it has to be worth it to vs long time rental. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Linn118

Nice listing.

My only suggestion is : add English as second language.

The listing is not assigned yet by Airbnb to one of the new categories.

Maybe "skiing" would be a correct one.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have added English now. 

How do I get listed in one of the categories?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Linn118 

Airbnb is doing it by AI . Maybe add some more skiing photos to let the robots assign the listing to "skiing".....

Ok, thank you. Does this mean that as for now I get fewer views? Sorry for dumb questions, and I am so grateful for your tips.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Linn118 

it means when guests choose categorie "skiiing", your listing is not displayed.

You can test it yourself when goiing to search homepage.

BTW The listing still shows Norwegian language on Airbnb.com.

Adding a second language (english) also means you have to add English discription to the iisting.

Oh really, everything in my listing is in Norwegian?? I thought it was automatically translated? How do I do that? I tried to look, but I can't figure it out. 

That is weird that my place does not come up with skiing. What should I do?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Linn118 

Adding  extra language to the listing by yourself (like english) gives you more control then leave it to automated translation, which can give unpredictable results and is not always initiated. I am in NL and see your listing on Airbnb.com by default in Norwegian language, with option to automatically translate.

If you would have added english, i would see it in English.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1580/translating-your-listing-into-other-languages

Language:

First part of description:

Ny og fin liten hybel på 15 kvm med høy standard sentralt på Årvoll i Oslo. Hybelen ligger i en ny tomannsbolig fra 2020, og hybelen er ny fra 2022. Nytt, eget kjøkken med ovn, stekeplate og kjøleskap. Eget bad med vaskemaskin, oppbevaring og regnfallsdusj.
Egen inngang til hybelen. Varmekabler i alle gulv.
Parkering i carport på stedet, i tillegg gratis gateparkering.
Tilgang på hage/terrasse på baksiden av huset.

will be translated by Airbnb as:

New and nice small apartment of 15 sqm with high standard centrally located at Årvoll in Oslo. The apartment is located in a new two-room apartment from 2020, and the apartment is new from 2022. New, en-suite kitchen with oven, hob and fridge. En-suite bathroom with washing machine, storage and rainfall shower.
Private entrance to the studio. Heating cables in all floors.
Parking in carport on site, as well as free street parking.

Categories

Assigning to the new categories, like  "Skiing":  i explained it before, you can not do it yourself, it is done by Airb AI (Artificial Intelligence) based on what is on your listing (description, photos).

Hope this all helps,

Happy Hosting !

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. The automatic translation was horrible and incorrect. So I have to change this. Thank you again, very nice of you to help, really appreciate it!!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linn118 @Emiel1 

Although listings are categorised by AI, you CAN contact customer services and request that your listing be added to a category or categories (or removed from one if you find it is included in an incorrect category). CS will review the request and decide, so there is no guarantee they will agree with you, but they are supposed to give you an answer within seven days.

I did this and it was all pretty straightforward. It took 2-3 days. However, I wouldn't say that it's had any positive impact on my views or bookings. It's still work a try though if you think guests coming to your area will specifically search using the skiing category.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion! I will definitely try that when the winter approaches, as it is a fantastic area if you like skiing. Even one of Norways gold medalists in skiing lives in the area, as it is great for winter sports. But as I just started this in June it is too soon to tell what kind of guests I will attract. Is it realistic to hope for pretty full months if I get better pictures and descriptions, or will it not be likely as it is a small place in a basement? I am cheaper than other apartments in the area for that reason though and the plus is everything is new and fresh and clean. And very nice neighbourhood in an expensive part of Oslo. Is there any way I can write this in a sympathetic way? Thank you again all of you for being so kind to help.

@Linn118  Adding languages will help, but bear in mind that before you can get any guests to read your description, they first have to be inspired to click on the lead photo as it appears in their search results. The image that's awkwardly centered on your front door is not really cutting it - especially considering that search results automatically crop your photos to landscape format. I'd strongly recommend re-shooting the apartment in full natural light, with more attention to composition, only in landscape format. Delete all the vertically oriented pictures, and choose as your lead photo the most visually striking and colorful image that captures a special feature of your home. One of your nice terrace would be appealing in summertime, whereas for winter bookings you might lead with one that captures the warmth and coziness of your space.

Thank you very much for your helpful tips! Maybe I should get some proffesional photos...I am not sure I will succeed in getting better pictures myself, I am not a good photographer. But you tips are very welcome, thank you so much!