What would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings?

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 16.12.03.png

BOOKINGS! We all know how important it is to get bookings, but sometimes, not having enough bookings can make one wonder: “what’s causing this? Could it perhaps be the low season, or maybe some other factors?” 

This is where the Community Center, a place where so many Hosts support each other together, is a wonderful source of information. It's a great place to ask for advice on certain topics or to learn new tips and tricks, and share the benefit of your experiences.

So, what would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings? 

Could it be keeping your calendar up-to-date, minimum stays, cancellation policy, or perhaps the pricing? Am I just scratching the surface? 🧐 

Please share your answers below, as I am sure that your fellow Hosts will benefit from hearing from you! 🙂

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

38 Replies 38

Every slow stretch between bookings is also an opportunity to get into the space for maintenance, find features that can be added or improved, fine-tune the listing descriptions, and add more high-quality photos.

Every booking begins with someone clicking on the thumbnail icon of your lead photo, so I can't stress enough how important it is to choose an image and title that really stands out and appeals to what people are likely to be looking for. It's no coincidence that our eyes drift to amber-hued images suggesting warmth and coziness in the winter but seize upon flashes of cool turquoise in summer, so if you're in a place with defined seasons, it may help to have a different sales pitch for each one. 

Finally, know your niche. It might be tempting to try and maximize your catchment by designing a neutral space or trying to please everybody. But hotels already have that covered. But those memorably offbeat listings that lean hard into their specific niche tend to be extraordinarily successful and well-reviewed (with a lot of help from Airbnb's search algorithm, which showcases listings that drive lots of curiosity clicks).

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Quincy I would advise listing on multiple platforms and using Wheelhouse dynamic pricing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Quincy  I would second Andrew's advice to market towards a certain demographic.

If you flip through any magazine, you will see that most businesses do this, whether they are selling cars, clothing, furnishings, whatever. They may have imaging that markets towards young people, highlight their commitment to diversity by having ads featuring people of many races, like Benetton does, they may target "luxury" buyers, outdoorsy folks, yoga and exercise enthusiasts,  families, or seniors.

So with Airbnbs, think about the type of guest who'll be a good fit for your place, whether it's digital nomads and business travelers, outdoorsy types, families, couples looking for a romantic getaway, etc.  If you have a rustic cabin on a mountaintop, you don't necessarily want to attract city slickers whose ideas of off-the-beaten trail living is derived from movies and haven't got a clue how to make a fire in a fireplace or who will freak out, leave and demand a refund if they hear a moose call or spot a bear.

Try to make the listing description really speak to the type of guests you are targeting. You want them to read it and think, "Hey, that's me they're talking about". Rather than the all too common descriptions that just read like a real estate ad, listing all the virtues of the place in an impersonal way. 

And use a cover photo that makes your place stand out and will appeal to your target market. Good place for a romantic couples get away? A table on a fairy light lit patio, set with a bottle of wine and wine glasses and some fruit and chocolates. Or a luxurious bed. Digital nomads? Show a well-decked out office space. 

You want guests to be able to picture themselves in the place you offer.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh @Quincy Yes you are scratching at the surface, we need our borders open back to everyone.

It's been deathly quiet here in New Zealand.

We have also just had our beloved YHA close after over 80 years because some fail to see the importance of International Tourism in New Zealand and the huge contribution to our economy, it's like going back to the era where they had controversy about creating Tourism in the early 1900's here when The Scenic Preservation Act was introduced to promote Tourism.

To those who would like to travel to little ole New Zealand, please help!!

We miss you all here x

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Oh @Helen427 sorry to hear its barren ground for you at the mo but bound to pick up. Really sad to hear about your Youth Hostels. Ours packed up many moons ago in UK but some have remained as private entities. Might there be such a chance over your way? 

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Helen427 I hear you! Can't wait for the borders to be open again...

@Helen427 we would love to travel across the ditch we have had 2 trips cancelled  with no go Australian covid zone. We were planning for February but daughter says border closed till April, 2 years since we have been able see our daughter in NZ.

Sad about the the Youth Hostel as we had stayed in many in NZ before Airbnb came on the scene. Helen were we live and have our cottage most of our guest have been from NSW when they have been allowed to travel. Have your guests mainly from the North Island of New Zealand? My daughter has said most of her guests in her Airbnb are from the South Island where she lives. We just have to ride the surf and enjoy the big wave when it rolls in.

@Laurelle3 

Auckland has almost become a Ghost City.

No one has been able to cross the borders locally in New Zealand which means no one can travel through Auckland or to Auckland unless supposedly for work and the Traffic Light system for C19 has just been imposed across many districts across NZ despite the fact there's been no cases so once again those people who live in isolated areas are hit despite many not ever coming into contact with others.

There's been talk by those in the hierarchy of Tourism that things won't be back up and running for at least another 2 years....NO thanks to the likes of Qantas CEO Alan Joyce and his roles in causing Industrial Action and contributing to so many near empty planes flying over the years and adding to pollution and spread of diseases.

Heaven Help us if we have such people as those who have been opposed to ABB and Tourists in general, including those who are visiting family in NZ from other countries, who think a country like New Zealand can survive like that.

Alas anything can happen and will with changes at the helm of the opposition party, Judicial Reviews telling those in charge to sort out the mess they have created and to start to adhere to Rule of LAW and carry out their assigned Administrative Duties in house!

I will always recall the Wise Words of a now deceased Legal Fraternity member who questioned an Authority why a matter was even in the Court room when it was an Internal Administrative matter and those involved were told to do their jobs instead of escalating matters.

Ahh bureaucracy, isn't it wonderful???

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Helloooo @Helen427 I like your last point about people doing their jobs... Some seem to forget their true roles!!

Public health is so complex.

I do really appreciate that we have the ability to call for these lockdowns. I love how effective it can be.

What opportunities might you have for online work? Visual tours of your area? Tutorials of some kind?

Thinking of you xxx

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Always online and other work to do @Mary996  along with other things 🙂

Enjoying the Monarchs and Garden despite the fact some hungry critter has been eating my Broccoli!

We started swimming in the ocean in the middle of September this year.

Guess who was the only one not wearing a wetsuit??

To quote Tina Turner, 'It's simply the best!"

Hahaha re viruses 😉

Our new opposition party leader, Chris Luxon, asked Jacinda Ardern today about the eradicate Wallabies approach - ties in with our Predatorfree NZ by 2050 elimination..which keeps having the goalpost changed like it was with the deer etc on Rangitoto Island back in the day- remember our discussion on that?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Oh no... @Helen427 Not the broccoli!

Wow good for you swimming in just your bather in September. Actually that's inspiring. I think I should copy your example. We have some fabulous beaches here and I used to be one of those that broke the ice in Hampstead Pond. So why am I becoming such a wimp? I must address this and toughen up...!! 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Quincy my inspiration for obtaining more bookings was by taking tips from the community forum from hosts giving help and advice such as @Elaine701 mentions stand out photos of your listing and @Anonymous  who also points out that your lead photo icon for your listing with your title really makes your property stand out from others.

Our market is seasonal along with public holidays, long weekends and school holidays. Marketing price does play a role during these times. By checking the market/competition Airbnb, holiday rentals, hotel and motels in your area helps provide a guide for price as @J-Renato0 points out. We have chosen to price ourselves in the higher medium price range for small families and couples who have paid a little more but save on catering for themselves. 

Since reducing the price for Sunday and Monday we have attracted guests to stay 3 and 4 nights rather than 2 which reduces turnovers and cleaning.

We also aim for 60-70% occupancy as this allows us to maintain our cottage and to have our own holiday.

Cancellation policy we have chosen to be flexible in these uncertain times as we believe we have to be fair during Covid rules and regulation set by our government because it protects us and our community. As we are in competation with hotels and motels and they provide  24 hrs cancellation fees. Being flexible provideds goodwill with future guests booking we have found as fast as there is a cancellation another person books that space. 

Reviews are part of marketing and I feel that today savy guests who use internet bookings do read reviews because I also see that people also put our listing on their wish list 

Lastly, we only use Airbnb as our online booking agent and have found that we have more than enough bookings.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Quincy  Most of the great hosts here demonstrate what every successful Airbnb host understands:  their listing is unique.  Keep that in mind as you make all your decisions about pricing, photographs, rules, and the like.  Look at the competition regularly but don't be its slave.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Yes @Ann72 in some ways I don't see it as conpetition. Instead we're part of the mop to pick up stray Guests... 

That's so sad, @Mary996😭😭😭