Are evictions covered under aircover?

Are evictions covered under aircover?

Hey guys, 

So I had a long stay, guest basically locked themselves inside, I had to start an eviction. After I got access to property I found out that it was literally destroyed carpets burned, windows cracked, holes in the wall, almost all furniture is missing. I opened aircover request, but got denied since it was after 14 days, but I was also not able to open it earlier since I had no access to property. Anyone had similar situation? All in I am about 9k in negative costs and repairs 😞

9 Replies 9

By the way, here this guest, he is still on aribnb, beware guys https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/257685416

@AZ-Housing0 , I hope you leave a through review on this guest so that other hosts are aware. Jasmines’ review of Armando would have been enough for me to decline hosting this guest. 

@Ana2038 It's weird though, right?  The guest has all good reviews and then the OMG worst guest ever review.  You wonder if the other reviews are real or if so, why would  he have done such an about face and destroyed Jasmine's house.  I don't put much stock in good reviews anymore, it just provides a slight base line that they guest won't be crazy destructive.  I've hosted plenty of people with 6+ stellar reviews who I would never host again under any circumstances.

@Mark116 , yup, strange. You wonder if it was one and the same individual or a 3rd party booking. Without being present (on site ) or having security  camera, it's kinda hard to determine who actually shows up....

PS I'm on-site and have security cameras.

Most of reviews are written automatically by hosts who have multiple properties, they just write good reviews to everyone expecting to get good ones from them.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 wrote:

I've hosted plenty of people with 6+ stellar reviews who I would never host again under any circumstances.

@Mark116 Ditto

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You didn't see Jasmine's review before long-term renting to 'Armando', and specially being in CA with its very hard-to-comprehend individual rights (to put it mildly).

Now that you were able to stop the 'occupation' and stop the siege of the stockade (aka your home) and see that 'Armando' has even burned the furniture to what keep warm, you want Airbnb to pay for it? From what coffer, personal ones or the one shared by all other hosts (the one that helps keep host fees fortunately at a mere 3%)?

“The Host Damage Protection is not an insurance policy. To the extent you desire protection beyond the Host Damage Protection, Airbnb strongly encourages you to purchase insurance that will cover you and your property for losses caused by Guests or Guests’ invitees in the event your loss is not within the terms of the Host Damage Protection.”
Here’s a short list of some of the main exclusionary language from Airbnb’s Aircover; Host liability or property damage protection:
The wrongful eviction from, wrongful entry into, or invasion of the right of private occupancy of a room, dwelling, or premises that a person occupies, committed by or on behalf of its owner, landlord, or lessor

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @AZ-Housing0 

An awful situation when this happens - what vetting guests did you ask when the guest booked to make sure they were a good fit for a longer term rental (particularly baring in mind your strict tenancy laws 30+ in California).

No Airbnb doesn't cover your costs for evictions under their guarantee. This is something you need to factor in as the business owner.

I don't know if you have a valid claim for damages under the guarantee for the damages.

Have you spoken to your home insurance for short term lets about your claim for damages and eviction costs.

By the way I'm rather surprised though that you decided to host this guest after seeing their recent review from another host.