Confirmed Guest requests exact address

Whitney201
Level 1
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Confirmed Guest requests exact address

I have a confirmed guest arriving in 30 days that is requesting exact address. He would like to do a drive by. Would you provide it? I have guests in there currently. 

8 Replies 8
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Whitney201   NO.  Even if he says he would not stop or enter the property, DON'T ALLOW IT.  I remind my guests that I am protecting their privacy, so I will protect the privacy of the current guest by not giving out the address, just as I will protect the requestor's privacy when it is their turn to be a guest.

(The information on the website and advanced google use would probably get him there anyway.)

That’s very helpful. And what I was thinking as well. I appreciate it!

@Whitney201 I thought guests got the exact address from Airbnb once the 48 hr cancellation period ends.

I spoke with AirBnb this morning and they don’t get the address until they get check in information 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Whitney201,

It seems the Airbnb CS rep didn't fully disclose when the guest gets the check-in information.  On the Listing Basics tab under Location Sharing there is an option to hide the address during the free cancellation period.  After that, the address is shared.

Debra300_0-1669749479183.png

Okay, that's good to know. Thank you for the extra info!

No, he gets the general neighborhood within 1/4 mile via the map on your listing. He can drive the neighborhood. But if you give the actual address, he will very likely "stop in" and disturb your current guests. 

It is also not unheard of for people to use AirBNB and other STRs to scope out listings to rob. They know when it's empty (look at your calendar), they know what is in it (look at your photos) and if you give the address, they'll know where to go "shopping". I've had folks on social media say I'm being paranoid. But my law enforcement family members tell me this is absolutely an issue.

This is why I don't post a photo of the front of my home in my listing. I only have interior pictures and a photo of the back of the house so it can't be identified in a drive by.

Makes complete sense. Thank you!