Critique my listing - Chris in Vancouver, WA, USA

Chris17296
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Critique my listing - Chris in Vancouver, WA, USA

Hello Fellow Hosts!

My wife and I have a house right on a river outside of Portland, Oregon.  We've been renting it via Airbnb for just over a year.  For the most part, it has been booked about 80-90% of the time, that is until the latest categories were released in the fall.  Previously, our place would have been included in the "waterfront" filter when guests were looking for places.  Sadly, the new categories do not include Riverfront (Lake and Beach are available, just not River).   We have seen our bookings go way down.  From our research, our pricing is competitive, our reviews are good (continue to maintain Superhost status), and we think our listing conveys what a guest should expect.

1) I'd love some feedback on the listing?   Anything else we can do to make it better?

2) anyone else with a Riverfront property seen a dip in bookings?

link below to listing.  Thank you! 

Gratefully,

Chris 

riversedge.jpeg

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/498142083547567201

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris17296 

I don't have a riverfront property, but I suspect there is more going on here than just that category being removed.

My bookings were pretty much decimated after the Summer Release. I managed to get by because I had quite a few bookings coming up before the changes, plus long term and repeat guests. Even after I got Airbnb to add me to the relevant categories, it didn't help. Actually, my views went down after that!

Things eventually started to pick up a bit, but definitely not to pre-Summer Release levels. Then along came the Winter Release in November and bookings stopped again, with no enquiries for over a month. In the last few days though, I received one enquiry and today one booking. So, let's see...

I have no idea what the algorithm is doing, but whatever it is, it has been bad news for thousands of hosts.

Echoing what Huma0 said - we are in the Portland/Vancouver area and we have also maintained Superhost status and kept our prices competitive. But it was touch and go all of 2023. 

Before COVID, we were booked solid for three months out, and even after, there was a surge where we were pretty comfortably booked at least on a monthly basis. Now, we are listening to crickets waiting for someone to book.

If this is about an algorithm, please please fix it, Airbnb!!