Critique my listing - Islam, Almaty, Kazahkstan

Answered!
Muslim4
Level 6
Almaty, Kazakhstan

Critique my listing - Islam, Almaty, Kazahkstan

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 11.04.05.png

Hello fellows!

I am a newbie host here on Airbnb. My apartment is in a good area of Almaty (Kazakhstan), in the city center. Cozy and pretty nice.
I listed it a couple of weeks ago, set the reasonable price, but there were no reservations. So, I needed to lower the price till the AirBnb minimum limit to get my first reservation. I would like to ask you to take a look at it and provide me with the comments/recommendations on how to make it more attractive.

IMG_3122.JPGIMG_3129.JPG

Here is it:  https://airbnb.com/h/apartment-in-almaty-center

1 Best Answer

Airbnb uses an algorithm to rank your listing when potential guests search for a place to stay.  By blocking so many dates, you are doing a few things that negatively affect your ranking in the search.  First, you are getting a low ranking by the algorithm because Airbnb likes to promote listings that will have more availability.  Second, you are limiting your listing from being seen by any travelers that aren't specifically looking ONLY for the dates you have open on your calendar.  This means nobody sees your listing.  Nobody clicks on your listing.  This causes the algorithm to give your listing an even lower ranking in the search.  This is a self-perpetuating negative spiral. 

Since yours is a new listing, you should be taking advantage of the "boost" that airbnb gives to all new listings.  Open up your calendar as far into the future as you can.  I would say 3 months at a minimum.

Also retake any of your photos that aren't brightly lit.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Lala89
Level 3
Houston, TX

For starters, it is completely blocked out for me. No dates are available. Check your calendar settings to make sure guests can actually book. 

Yes, I know. I blocked it, because I don't like early reservations. I have opened ten days for February now.

Airbnb uses an algorithm to rank your listing when potential guests search for a place to stay.  By blocking so many dates, you are doing a few things that negatively affect your ranking in the search.  First, you are getting a low ranking by the algorithm because Airbnb likes to promote listings that will have more availability.  Second, you are limiting your listing from being seen by any travelers that aren't specifically looking ONLY for the dates you have open on your calendar.  This means nobody sees your listing.  Nobody clicks on your listing.  This causes the algorithm to give your listing an even lower ranking in the search.  This is a self-perpetuating negative spiral. 

Since yours is a new listing, you should be taking advantage of the "boost" that airbnb gives to all new listings.  Open up your calendar as far into the future as you can.  I would say 3 months at a minimum.

Also retake any of your photos that aren't brightly lit.

Good luck!

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

There are no pictures of the beds. Where is the bedroom and what does the beds look like?

That couch (with pillows on it) acts as a bed during a night. It is a sofa during a day. There's also another sofa there that can transform into a double bed. 😊

You need to show this with pictures

You mean like a ready made bed?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes you need to show both beds made up so guests can understand where they are sleeping.

Also caption your photos so guests understand what they are seeing.

Don't price at the Airbnb minimum. Look at what similar properties in your location are charging @Muslim4 

Got it, thanks. Interesting. Never even thought about that.

Regarding the price, I set quite reasonable price at first, however Airbnb price suggestion was to set it to the minimum. I don't know why. For Smart Price feature turned on it also recommends setting $10 - $28 (or same in euro).

What price am I supposed to set then? Should I follow their recommendations?

@Muslim4 to check your price go onto Airbnb as a guest and search for similar properties in a similar location to your listing.

Only you will have the local knowledge to do this comparison. Do make sure you can see your listing (as a guest) to understand how big a service fee Airbnb adds to your nightly prices.

I took a look at the map. You are right, my listing looks suspiciously inexpensive for that area. I've no idea why AirBnb insists on setting the minimal price. I think it would be reasonable to set it only slightly cheaper than other properties nearby.

@Muslim4  Airbnb always wants you to list for the lowest possible price.  Check around your area for other similar listings and see what they are charging and how their availability is, and use that as a guide.

Your photos seem a little dark and I would consider maybe removing the throw pillows or getting some that all coordinate for a little more polished look.  Good luck!

I have a couple of those Pietro Fornasetti pillows. How about placing them there?

Skype_Picture_2023_02_05T19_15_26_676Z.jpeg