French tax / DAC27 / AirBnB thoughtlessness

Richard2661
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

French tax / DAC27 / AirBnB thoughtlessness

I'm a UK citizen, with a French house. I'm new (2022) to AirBnB, and will pay French taxes for the first time for calendar 2022. The Impots (French tax authority) do not assign tax numbers to new French taxpayers until the September AFTER the first tax year i.e. September 2023 for me.

But AirBnB has repeatedly emailed me saying they're going to freeze my listing on 1/1/23 if I don't provide a French tax number. I've advised AirBnB I don't have one and won't get one until September 2023, but AirBnB just isn't listening.

I can't be the only one in this situation, surely? I can't give AirBnB something (tax number) that doesn't exist.

HELP!

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Richard2661 the only hope you have is if someone like @Catherine-Powell jumps into action or one of the moderators such as @Sybe prod Airbnb for you. I think Airbnb is just applying rules that the EU has imposed on them but sometimes the rules do not match what individual EU countries do with respect to tax.

My only other thought is to talk with a French Accountant as they may have a solution for you.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Richard2661 ! Apologies for the late reply here but I've sent this over to the team now to see how we should proceed given you haven't received a tax number yet. As soon as I hear back from them I'll let you know!

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks for the tag, always helpful! 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Richard2661
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Sybe - thanks for your interest. Another gent contacted me with the identical problem (but somehow I have lost his email).

@Delphine348 suggested that the Impots (French version of HMRC) would indeed provide a tax file number 'early', I subsequently tried that route but they are now 'blanking' me.

I'm just checking in to see if you've got anywhere? I'm pulling my hair out. AirBnB just have a Computer Says No attitude: it's pretty depressing, actually, as a newbie. Thanks in advance, Richard.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Richard2661 I can imagine that's frustrating. Luckily I do have an update for you! The team has created a ticket for this and the issue is being worked on. Unfortunately I can't provide a timeframe but as soon as I hear more I'll let you know. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Sybe ,

Great news, @Andrew2839 is in a similar situation https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-updates/EU-Hosts-Airbnb-requires-taxpayer-information-Sub...

And the team could reach Non resident Tax service here https://www.impots.gouv.fr/international_en/individual

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)

Hi Sybe, I'm banging my head against the wall with Impots. I keep getting passed around. They even asked for my acte d'achat (house purchase contract), which I supplied and got my hopes up. Only to have my hopes dashed this morning. Same answer as months ago: Computer Says No (i.e. Computer Says September).

Any progress your end?

@Andrew2839 @Delphine348 @Sybe 

@Sybe @Delphine348 @Andrew2839 I've now got my 2nd email of the day from Direction des Impôts des Non-résidents (I suppose I have to grudgingly admire those working on 27 December) stating "Il est impossible d'attribuer un numéro fiscal avant une taxation." (It is impossible to assign a fiscal number before taxation.)

I really wonder why they didn't tell me that more than 2 months ago and save us both the multiple back-and-forth.

It seems it is solely down to Airbnb to find a solution. Surely there is some pragmatic flexibility given the circumstances? I want to comply with a numéro fiscale ... but it is simply impossible.

@Sybe @Delphine348 @Andrew2839 ... it keeps getting weirder. I've just got a 3rd email completely unsolicited - today, 2 January - from Direction des Impôts des Non-résidents saying "Il n'est désormais plus possible d'attribuer des numéros fiscaux hors taxation." (It is no longer possible to assign tax numbers except during taxation. [this translation is a bit Anglicised])

The important bit being "no longer" i.e. it was once possible, but no more.

All help gratefully accepted.

Hi @Richard2661 ,

I just found this conversation thread and was wondering how the tax issue resolved.

I am having the same problem- new to Airbnb, bought the house in France January this year and have our first booking in August. We are in our house at the moment so I went to the local tax office to get my tax number to supply to Airbnb only to be told I won't receive it until my first tax notice in 2024....I am not a French resident so have not had to file a tax return here in France before.

I asked Airbnb for help with this as I cannot supply anything more to them and I haven't received a response.

I have supplied all other relevant information which i have available.

It's very frustrating as I keep on getting emails from Airbnb threatening to withhold payments/freeze accounts etc if this information isn't supplied.

If you have any suggestions i would be very grateful.

Julie

@Julie5091I'm sorry to hear this. I can say two things with certainty:

- the Impots (French tax authority) stance is bizarre - surely you would want to draw in taxpayers at the earliest opportunity?

- no-one at AirBnB, including various moderators, was of any help whatsoever. Lots of warm words and "I'll look into to it" but it all came to naught.

Don't fight the fight. There's nothing to be done about the situation unfortunately.

I just carried on (weathering multiple emails from AirBnB as you did) and eventually the 'clock' ticked over and I got my numéro fiscal which I have now duly appended to my AirBnB profile.

It never interrupted my ability to rent out my house.

So that's what I suggest to you too. Just carry on. Cross your fingers, and hope for the best.

I have reached the same conclusion - probably going to limit the time I Airbnb the house as it is ridiculous.

Such a shame as I wanted the first season to go well and spent so much on new furniture and getting things ready.

I am doing Apr-Aug only, so hopefully there is an interim solution.

Good luck!

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Andrew2839 ,

the rule is for all platform so you should encounter the same limitation elsewhere, except if the EU writes about this specific case of a State denying the right to have a tax number before tax exigibility...

I hope there will be a solution as I imagine you are not alone in this situation!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)