Guest Service Fee

Alida89
Level 1
Biot, France

Guest Service Fee

The "Guest Service Fee" is charged to guests and apparently includes a cleaning fee. However, it is not listed in the "Host payout section". If my guests are being charged for cleaning, why is Airbnb not passing this on to us? Airbnb aren't going to be doing the cleaning! I am not referring to the "Host Service Fee", which they are charging us as hosts. Can anyone clarify please?

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alida89 

The Guest Service Fee is charged to guests and is a percentage of the booking total:

Nighly price + Extra guest fee (if any) + Cleaning fee (if any).

If you do not have set a cleaning fee in your listing, then there is no cleaning fee at all in the booking nor is it part of the Guest Service Fee.

Thanks - so, if there's no cleaning fee, and no extra guest fee what is the 200 Euros that's been added to the guest's amount to pay,  for? It must be the nightly fee, but what is that for? Thank you for your help. 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Alida89 
Most probably the amount Airbnb charges for their services

@Bob297 

Possibly, but there's a Host Fee that they deduct from what's due to the Host. So, that would suggest that both the guest AND the Host pay Airbnb. They are charging our guests 200 Euro for a 3 night stay. It seems a lot on top of the fee WE pay them.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Alida89 
It's a percentage of the rent.
How much was the rent?
How much did ABB charge you?

@Alida89 wrote:

So, that would suggest that both the guest AND the Host pay Airbnb.  

@Alida89  correct. Both guest and host pay fees to ABB.  
And we hardly pay them anything, 3% is a bargain. 

I agree, it's not much. The guest carries a heavier burden by far. 

The guest doesn't pay the fee in reality, you do. If AirBnB didn't charge the guest, you would be able to instead. Your nightly rate must come down to meet the threshold of what a guest will pay. What guests will pay does not rise to meet AirBnB's fee.

@Jefferson86  yes, true. if you are able to get direct bookings though, you usually still have to discount to make it more attractive (esp as some believe Air Cover is a thing) so when we do direct bookings they are often cheaper anyways. 

Direct booking, in my mind, should always be the end goal. You have an enforceable lease with infinitely more favorable terms than anything on AirBnB, and it's easier to be competitive when you can take 15% off the top of your price without affecting your profit.

It's just harder to get there, I think.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Alida89 ,

On adding to what Emiel has mentioned, you can learn more about the Airbnb Services Fee here.

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika 

Find out where?

🤔

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Alida89 ,

I meant, you click on the word ''here'' in my previous msg and it would redirect you to a resource😆. Let me share the full link  : https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1857. This link will provide you with more information regarding Airbnb Services Fee.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Two steps:

1. Host Price total + Guest Service Fee (charged to guest by Airbnb) = Subtotal

2. Subtotal + Cleaning Fee (if any) - Host Service Fee (3% charged to host by Airbnb) = Payout