Guest reviews have changed! No more STARS!

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

Guest reviews have changed! No more STARS!

I might have missed someone else's post on this so forgive me if a duplicate. I just reviewed a guest on Airbnb - NO MORE STARS!! Just a spot for public comments, a spot for private comments, and a question of whether or not you'd recommend the guest to other hosts.... Cannot say I'm a fan of this change. I like the star ratings!!

AIRBNB - Bring back the STAR ratings for guests!!

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Hilary79 Perhaps this is for the best. The old method created an average for 3 categories and gave the rest to 1 decimal place. As a result if a guest was marked down in 1 category it didn't even register. Comments are more powerful than stars in my opinion.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Some hosts preferred the star rating and offered little text - so the guest couldn't get the review removed by Customer Service.   I personally would like to continue to see both, the text and the star rating.  Guests were unable to view their star rating.

@Mike-And-Jane0    for guests they get .5 or 0 and it's always rounded UP. so a guest at 4.68 will still show at 5* until they go under 4.5. I prefer the stars, and many hosts write a nice comment but then leave low stars. 

I don't want to nitpick in the comments, but if someone didn't communicate or read the house rules, I want other hosts to know so i give them 4* because I know it doesn't truly hurt them like it does us hosts. 

@Gillian166 

Im getting ready today guest check out, Dirty pair of pigs they have had the cleaner twice a week and still manage to live like pigs, My cleaner tells me

Sand everywhere so obviously not been taking their shoes off, That was the first thing I told them when they arrived at the door.

We have a sofa on the balcony my cleaner already warned me there is oil stains on it,

@Sudsrung0  :frowning_face: your place is so gorgeous, i don't know how you cope with that. so disrespectful. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Hilary79 

I've got a guest checking out today I'll take a look myself, 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Hilary79  sorry, what? I have a bunch of reviews lined up to do and I checked, I can still give star ratings. Are they trialling something different in the USA?

I just did a review for a guest and I was able to check off stars plus the "defining criteria" for each category.

It's interesting how guests don't have to review every category for hosts, but hosts have to rate every category for guests. Just another way AirBNB is guest-centric.

@JoandJoe0  hey there, have you done a guest review? they are LONG, and there's a lot of stuff they get asked about. I think we hosts got off lightly! Now we have the same system with more clicks, it's not too bad, and I love that we can add a custom comment. 

@Gillian166  my complaint is that guests have the option not to review hosts on every category. For example, I had a guest who only reviewed me on one category - cleanliness - and nothing else. I guess it was the only category she thought would be appropriate to complain about my water not being cold enough for her tastes. So she gave me 4* for cleanliness and 4* overall. <insert middle finger emoji>

I wish hosts could opt out of categories and that we also could give an overall rating. That way if you have a guest who communicated well, but was an absolute pig and violated house rules, you could just evaluate on those two categories and ignore the communication category because guests like that don't deserve any praise.

@JoandJoe0  lol, that one is very special: water not cold enough?! wtf. 

I've never had a review with only one category ticked, I don't know how that's even possible. 

I assume, it is just a glitch, some times system allows to do that from the app.