Host asking for passport copies

Answered!
Bruna-Ayako0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Host asking for passport copies

Hi! I've used Airbnb a couple of times, and it's the first time my host asked me for the Passport copies. I'm hosted in Portugal and she said it's for paying taxes. I distrusted this information of her request because I always talked to my host in Portuguese and just this message was sent in English.

Anybody know if is it common ask passport information in Portugal? And is safe to provide this information?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

"The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws." 

You can read more about this by clicking here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138

@ELITE-Gymnastics0  I see. Well, I don't quite understand how your daughter was even able to contact the host on the Airbnb platform in the first place- as I said, 18 is the minimum age to open a Airbnb account, and without an account, you can't contact the host. Unless your daughter found the ad for the place  somewhere not on the Airbnb site.

Many hosts do have their own private rental websites, in addition to listings on Airbnb and other rental platforms. But most legitimate hosts report their earnings, and pay taxes on such, no matter where they get their bookings.

I didn't know that Thailand was one of the countries where passport info for guests has to be collected. The host for sure sounds sketchy on all fronts.

I wasn't suggesting that you would let your daughter get away with this, it just sounded strange that she could organize and carry this out without you being aware. But having raised 3 myself, I know they can be clever- telling you they are spending the night at their friend's house or something else innocent-sounding. When mine were that age, I would phone the other parents to confirm. Once my daughter wanted to go to a party at that age and I phoned the parents of the kid who was having the party to make sure there was going to be a parent home. The mother assured me that she and her husband would both be there the whole time, and said she fully expected to get lots of calls like mine, but that I was the only parent who had checked.

And I see you are confused about the Airbnb platform- you wrote about all this on your Airbnb profile info, making threats to Airbnb. A profile write-up is for hosts or guests to introduce themselves, speak of their interests, etc. No one from Airbnb is going to respond to your profile write-up. You need to contact Airbnb customer service directly to file a complaint. You can do that by phone, message, or on their Twitter account.

They won't do anything about the passport or under-age party issue, because the booking wasn't made through them, so don't even bother pursuing that angle, but if your daughter communicated with the host originally through the platform and there is a message you can access where the host asked your daughter to contact her privately to book, they won't like that because their booking fees were circumvented and may suspend the host's listing.

I would also presume your daughter lied about her age and intentions to this host, as no host, no matter whether they are trying to avoid paying taxes, would want a drug and alcohol-fueled party of 12-15 year olds at their home. So while the host did not act honorably, I would be pretty sure they were lied to from the beginning.

You are misunderstanding this.  In most countries you have to hand over your passport at the Hotel Register because the country requires that you get registered at the place you stay.  Every single hotel will ask you and make a photocopy and every single Air B&B host should be doing the same.   AirB&B  hosts must comply with the laws of the country they are in.  If you found another host who didn't do it then you snubbed the one who acted lawful.

I am facing the same problem here. A phillipines' host ask for a copy of our passport for the building manager for our "move" which we are staying only for 4 nights.

Do you have any idea how it ends? Thank you!

Daniel2777
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

I’ve got the exact same issue here also. 

My 13 year old daughter rented a place in bangkok for one night for a party through air bnb. All children were 12-14 years old. Illegal activities were conducted in that room. If the host did ask for passport , none of this would be possible. How can you even say it’s illegal to ask for copy of the passport ?? Did you ever think about underage kids renting air BnB for their parties ?? As a parents I’m furious and suing the host for not checking children’s ID’s 

In EU sensitive data copy by AirBnb  host is not against GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) but it must comply data regulation rules.

GDPR are the most restricted data protection rules on Earth. Anybody who collects such data has to comply rules such as:  the right to be informed, the right of access, the right to rectification, the right to erasure, the right to restrict processing, the right to data portability, the right to object and also rights around automated decision making and profiling.

My host in Singapore insisted on making n keeping a photocopy of my passport on arrival at her home. I was willing to show her my passport but uneasy with her keeping the copy for fear of identity theft as I would not know how responsibly the copy is disposed. Also all my personal details as an airbnb member were verified by airbnb and I already paid for the booking in full. I checked with airbnb help desk and was told this could be due to the local govt requirement. Somehow I think there must be some control over a private person keeping another's information. 

One thing majority of guests seem to not understand is that Airbnb does not provide any personal information of the guest to the host. Hosts DO NOT  get a copy of the guest's verified id. Hosts DO NOT recieve any credit card info of the guests. 

In some countries Airbnb is considered the same as a hotel/motel so hosts need ID copies. Of course hosts should make this clear in their listing description but I also think travellers need to take more responsibility and look up some of these laws and  requirements before questioning the host. 

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

Hi

here in Spain we have a simple paper form asking for the required data and if a guest is in a hurry or there is no pencil etc. one can ask for permission to take a photo, but we also state this requirement on the house rules e.g.

Please note : We do not have access to your information on AirBnB but we do, by law, require ID details to register you at the Guardia Civil upon your arrival.

So there should be no problem and the "locals" have no issue with this.

Cheers

Martin GJ

Hi I'm a new host and have no idea what to do 

I have been told to photocopy the lead guests past/ID card and take it to the Guardia Civil

Is there a form that I need to get from the Guardia? 

I would really appreciate your reply as you seem to be right on the ball

Thanks 

Katie

Margerie0
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

My host in Cordoba is asking me to send a picture of my passport by whatsapp. Is it normal? I don't feel confortable sending my passport picture by internet. Can I ask him to take a picture of my passport only when I arrive?
Margerie

@Margerie0 I think hosts in Spain like in Italy, Croatia etc... have to register every guest to police and tourist board. If he will meet you at arrival he can take your personal informations at the time of your check in. If he has self check in option then it is normal that he asks you in advance.

You may ask him, of course

Hi

the host probably just wants to ease and speedup checkin for you and for him.

Here in Spain we (Hosts) are required by law to register guests.

Just ask - but whatsup is actualy encrypted end to end - so no difference between a photo send or taken.

I asume your id is verified by airbnb...

Have a great stay in Cordoba

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi All,

We are a host in Portugal, and under the "Alojamento Local" (Portuguese short term rental license) rules - in place, since 2014 - and even beyond (2008). Any host (providing local lodging) is required by law to gather the following information for each guest in any group hosted - and to report this information within 3 working days after arrival, to the Portuguese Border Control authorities (SEF; Short for: “Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras”):

• First Name
  • Last Name (Surname)
  • City/Place of Residence
  • Country of Residence
  • Nationality
  • City/Place of Birth
  • Date of Birth
  • ID-Type of Document (Passport/ID Document/Other)
  • Document Number
  • Country of Document Issue
  • Dates of Arrival and Departure

And in case, a person has the Portuguese nationality:

• Fiscal number (NIF)

Basically: When it comes down to local lodging / short-term rentals: In many countries around the globe nowadays: rental licenses and associated legislation are the rule, rather than the exception!

Best regards,

Cor.

@Cor3 wrote:

Hi All,

We are a host in Portugal, and under the "Alojamento Local" (Portuguese short term rental license) rules - in place, since 2014 - and even beyond (2008). Any host (providing local lodging) is required by law to gather the following information for each guest in any group hosted - and to report this information within 3 working days after arrival, to the Portuguese Border Control authorities (SEF; Short for: “Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras”):

• First Name
  • Last Name (Surname)
  • City/Place of Residence
  • Country of Residence
  • Nationality
  • City/Place of Birth
  • Date of Birth
  • ID-Type of Document (Passport/ID Document/Other)
  • Document Number
  • Country of Document Issue
  • Dates of Arrival and Departure

And in case, a person has the Portuguese nationality:

• Fiscal number (NIF)

Basically: When it comes down to local lodging / short-term rentals: In many countries around the globe nowadays: rental licenses and associated legislation are the rule, rather than the exception!

Best regards,

Cor.

Can you ease post a link to the government laws that address this "Alojamento Local"? I would like to see this as I'm not comfortable giving passport info and personal info out by email. I believe the host can check this info when we check in and has 3 days to do so.