Location rating.

-Cally0
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

Location rating.

It shouldnt be part of it because people can see where they're booking. If it isnt suitable they won't. My 5 star rating went to a 4 all because 1 person rated location a 4. Not fair!

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@-Cally0It is irrelevant - Your lowest rating is 4.9 which is absolutely fine.

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

I wouldn't worry about it.

Even tough some guests can see the location before booking, they don't know what the block looks like until they arrive.

@-Cally0

Mike from West Palm
Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

That's why you should have photos of the exterior of your property in the listing, so folk can clearly see what they're thinking of booking and what the surrounding area is like. I would never book somewhere which had no exterior photos.

I do. My area is lovely.

What I've noticed is that Airbnb seem to be placing the 5* properties first...that's why it matters.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@-Cally0 

If you mean that your overall star rating went from 5* to 4* because the guest rated the location 4*, that is not correct. The ratings for the individual categories are separate to the overall rating and it's only the overall rating that is taken into consideration for the Superhost assessment.

However, if you mean that the guest left you 4* overall, as well as for location, simply because they didn't like the location, yes that happens. There is not much you can do about it if you have already described your location clearly. For example, I found it helped me to mention that my neighbourhood was multiracial and multi-income and tell guests not to book if that was something that concerned them.

Yes, it seems unfair for guests to rate us on location at all given that they CHOOSE where to stay. However, hosts have been complaining about this for years (there are probably hundreds of threads about it on the CC already) and Airbnb seem to have no intention on changing it. They have stated over and over that the location rating is important to guests and that it's therefore not going anywhere.