Out of the blue, Airbnb sent me a text with a "Pin", Not sure if legit.

Joe-and-Becky0
Level 2
Woodbury, TN

Out of the blue, Airbnb sent me a text with a "Pin", Not sure if legit.

I just received a text from Airbnb with a pin.  Not sure what this is about and not sure if this is legit.

Anyone else get this?  Can't figure out why I would need this if it is legit and why I cannot choose my own pin combination if so.

The exact text:

Airbnb PIN. Never share your code with anyone - Airbnb employees will never ask for it. Your code is...

51 Replies 51
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Joe-and-Becky0. I just got that message, but not out of the blue. I asked for it, as I was updating my listing and got a notice that I should verify my phone number - as a yearly precaution. So I did. I got the same message, and entered the PIN in the box and all was well.

If you received yours out of the blue, I would wonder whether someone was trying to access your account. No need to panic, but you might want to check Account Settings -> Security to see a list of the latest log-ins. 

I've gotten this message about 50 times and counting (one every day for the past couple of months).  I too have never used Airbnb, and never plan to.  The texts surely can't be legit, but I can't see the point of them as spam.  Truly bizarre.  Any advice to make this **bleep** stop?

So far I've received a lot of these daily, it's really annoying. I've only just installed it today so I can't tell if how well it works, but I went into my app store and got a high rated text blocker... Haven't had any texts so far. I'll know tonight if there were any that were blocked when I read the summary of the day.

So what are you doing on here then? 

I have got the same message twice. I never used Airbnb and I never gave them my phone number. Still somebody sends me these text messages. Who does this, and why?

Stacy23
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

I have received this text twice today so far but have not requested it.

Henrik45
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

I got it too just now. Not requested.

Fergus21
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

I've had three of these texts today - I'm worried someone is trying to gain access to my account. Is this what's happening?

edit: So I looked at my account and there was an active session that logged in this morning that I wasn't responsible for. I've since changed my password and logged that session out.

I had 10+ of those messages since this morning. Seems they have either have problems with their systems or are being the target of some kind of attack?

Reinaldo34
Level 1
Curico, Chile

Must have been an attack. Today I received about 20 SMS, and there were login attempts from different countries. Changed my password today and deleted the credit card from the account. 

Victor645
Level 1
Chillicothe, IL

Received 5 sms this morning. Had to change my password and delete my credit card as there were active sessions from random devices. 

Hi,  I have been getting the code texts as well... how were you able to see the sessions? I am not sure where to find this?

Andrew1372
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

This has happened to me too... The texted pins and the unusual account activity. 

Michele975
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

It is a hacker attack. I received loads of messages like that yesterday, checked the activity and spotted many unrecognised devices from all over the world. I changed my password and removed my credit card. Airbnb is being silent despite my numerous requests to explain what's going on ... But they are clearly dealing with a huge problem right now. It should be in the news.