Pre aprove

Gemma326
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Pre aprove

Hi everyone, 

I'm wondering if anyone shares my frustration with the 'pre approval' feature. Its resulted in me losing money on my listings despite support telling me there is a 'accept' button instead which doesn't apply a discount.  

When I've pre-approved before, thinking it's just to encourage guests to book, unbeknown to me it's reduced my nightly price by £10. I was told there is a automatic discount on pre-approvals yet I don't see this in the information provided. I've had another enquiry today and thankfully I know better now to NOT pre-approve because AirBnb have adjusted the pre-approval £11 less then my minimum nightly rate! 

Anyone else as perplexed as to this feature? It's really frustrating. 

6 Replies 6
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Gemma326 I have never heard of such a thing. I pre-approve all the time for the same reason you do -  to encourage them to book. Do you have instant book? It sounds like you don’t if you also have an accept button. Why would you not accept the booking but w instead? I’m confused.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 I've never used this feature, but my understanding was that it was there for enquiries, to encourage guests to book. Of course, if someone sends a booking request and there is therefore the option to simply hit 'accept', there is absolutely no reason to send a pre-approval.

Gemma326
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Yes, that was my thought too. But I only have the option of 'Pre-Approve' or 'Decline'. If I press pre-approve it applies a discount I never agreed to. I only became aware of it when I looked at the total booking cost and worked it out per night. It seems rather sneeky! I followed up with support and they confirmed thats what they do. I'm really not happy about it. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like a technical error. Call Airbnb @Gemma326 

I don't think pre approving a booking encourages people to book.

Not something I've used in 6 years of hosting. 

Gemma326
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

That's the problem, I've called them and they haven't been helpful. I'll just make sure I don't click 'pre-approve' as and when I get enquires to make sure I don't get screwed by AirBnB on the pricing. 

Gemma326
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

So for some reason if you pre-approve, thinking you're encouraging them to book it actually applied a discount which you don't see unless you work it out yourself. e.g. I charge £55 per night, if I get a enquiry and pre-approve, it then drops it down to £45 per night which had I not done the math myself I could have easily missed. I didn't apply any automatic discounts or anything like that. It just seems really ridiculous. 

PS sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise I had a response to my query 🙂