What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

PJMPHOTO18Q326_TR5DM3_182.jpg

Hello All,

It is quite well known that House Rules are important for a number of reasons in the context of hosting guests. Having detailed House Rules enables one to set clear expectations for guests’ behaviour and make them aware of their responsibilities during the stay.

House Rules can also help to communicate prompt directions for Guests (in case they face any difficulties) and create a positive visiting experience. House rules might also include things like quiet hours, cleaning requirements and rules around smoking or pets. This way, House rules can also provide protection for the host in case of any issues with guests.

However, as a new Host, it can often be confusing to what House Rules to include in the listing. Wouldn’t it be great to have a conversation about it?

So, What are your Top 3 essential House Rules that you make sure the guests abide by? Let me know in the comments below!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bhumika
Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

38 Replies 38

Helen0 i think the bin sorting is an Airbnb hazard we all have to deal with. If there is a solution i would like to know, but i always have a marked glass collection plastic basket either in the kitchen or near the front door or both.... H

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Bhumika 

We realised years ago stopping people from smoking is a problem, so what we did in my villas is create smoking areas outside, put a table and some chairs,

All our villas have pools, and we let people smoke around the pool, All our guests are tourists; they are on holiday, and I like them to enjoy themselves and have a good time, I don't stop them from having family or friends over for a few beers and a BBQ, As long as the guest who booked the villa is liable for any damage caused by his guests.

The one apartment I have on Airbnb that is a different story, Here in Thailand we have a law about smoke free buildings and the project we are in is a smoke free building so I have to read the riot act to them, it's not me who will fine you it will be the police about $50, I tell them to go outside or go on the roof for a smoke, 

In my apartment I don't allow extra guest or do I allow infants or children I don't consider it safe we have floor to ceiling windows and we are on the 3rd floor the balcony is not child proof, I've got into a few arguments with guest over that, 

Misty43
Level 4
Burbank, CA

The most important in my 3 listings seem to be pretty much the same even though the areas are slightly different.

1. Noise is number one.

All areas in Southern California are strict with this. I received a $1,000 fine for just 6 guests talking too loud on a balcony at night... I didn't have the heart to charge them that fee, it's just mean neighbors that hate airbnb guests. But since then I had to make signs reminding guests of quiet hours. Double ask them in booking that they realize how serious not being loud at night is. So noise is top priority.

2. Exceeding guest count/animals. Having too many guests and pets not listed violates my permits so fines can be issued and this of course leads straight into the noise problem.

3. Parking. Again the city can write a citation. If I get 3 citations they take away my permit. Sometimes guests want to park in the yard or side of property but the permits all say I have to provide real driveway parking so when they do this it causes a lot of problems, also neighbors don't like it.

I used to have a lot of rules listed but now those are added into the house manual and use section. Or "other things to note" this way they focus more on the top three.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Bhumika, my number one house rule is always ,ID please. I make this rule and no one books without it. .. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bhumika 

My most important three rules are, I think:

1. No visitors without prior permission

2. No children/pets

3. Observe check in/out times

I host up to three separate guests at any time in my own home, so it's super important to me (and to most guests) that there are not random people roaming around the house. Then there is insurance to be considered. If something went wrong, would I be covered? If guests do want to have visitors stay overnight, then they have to pay for them as additional guests, as I really don't want my place to become some sort of crash house, nor for someone to book for themselves and then think that their partner gets to stay over for free anytime they feel like it. And yes, this can happen when you host long term guests.

My listing is not not childproof, plus I have three cats, so small children and pets are a no-go. Also,  I market to solo travellers, and they are not expecting to be sharing with children, even older ones. Since I switched to one person max per room, that's not been an issue, but I did used to have a lot of parents arguing with me when I wouldn't accept a booking with children.

RE check in/out times, this is something I had so many problems with when I first started hosting. At first, I tried to be very accommodating but, unfortunately, some guests really took advantage of this and messed me around, leading to stressful situations, so now I make it crystal clear that the check in/out times are not 'guidelines' that they can opt to follow.

Jennifer2672
Level 10
Sioux Falls, SD

1. Parking. (Our driveway is side by side with our neighbor's so we explain proper parking on the "right" side in several places in our rules, listing, check-in directions and even message a reminder along with the keypad lock code on their day of arrival.) 

2. Please let us know if any accidental damage right away. 

3. Make sure that your reservation is for the actual number of guests. We want to be good neighbors and to make sure we are hosting the right type of guest. We put this in our rules and in the instant book pre-message. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jennifer2672,

I like how you made sure to include parking rules as well, which is pretty rare. 

As you mentioned, asking guests to provide the correct number of guests in their reservation is also a good practice, to ensure the safety and comfort of both the guests and the neighbours. 

Has it ever happened that despite these house rules, you have had extra guests, who were not disclosed during a booking request? Would you like to share how you dealt with such situations?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I think our guests are either following the rules pretty well, or hiding it when they sneak in extra people. I also remind people in my communication right before check-in that we live just a couple blocks away and are available to help with any concerns.  We had one group that held a family reunion after asking if they could and being told no. We followed up with our neighbor to make sure nothing had happened that made her uncomfortable. And we filed a claim for some damage to our home which was a direct result of their event. 

Danielle1342
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

Anything related to safety:

No Smoking

No Parties

No illegal activity

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
-Maya Angelou