how to handle excessive fragrance use by guests?

Kathy39
Level 2
Takoma Park, MD

how to handle excessive fragrance use by guests?

Hi fellow hosts. In recent months we have had more frequent problems with guests using fragrances so heavily that is is very difficult to clear the air for the next guest. Doing the laundry and opening windows for a day or two doesn't do the trick. Is this something you are experiencing, and if so, how are you handling it? 

I would love suggestions on 1) how to ask on our listing that guests be considerate about the use of fragrance without offending people and 2) any tips for removing fragrance in the environment (that does not involve ionizing air "purifiers".

Thanks, Kathy

8 Replies 8
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Try these homemade recipes to eliminate household odors and refresh rooms with natural ingredients

https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/house-cleaning/tips/natural-ways-to-make-your-home-smell-amazing/

thank you!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Kathy39 

Here in Thailand we have a plant that grows wild called Pandan leaf, we use it in our properties it deodorizes the place we cut it up and put in some nice little bowls around the place, It works great,

Can put in the wardrobes, 

As for your laundry add vinegar to your wash usually does the trick, White vinegar bye the way

Other than that I think every host should have a small ozone machine cheap enough on Amazon

thank you we'll give these a try

Huge Sympathy! This is nasty. We have a house rule that there is no fragrance, no stinky plug ins, no incense, etc. That took care of it for us.

Thanks for this -- how strict is your rule -- does it apply to soaps and shampoos and such? Those don't bother us so much and I would be afraid of losing too much business. 

Hi Kathy - I supply soaps and shampoos that I like and personally use. It is on my amenities list. Yes, my rules are strict and I've had no issues in all these many years. My guests love what I supply and I've been told they go buy them for themselves after staying here. - Kitty😊

Lily489
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Hello Kathy39 , 

After the ordinary vacuum, laundry, windows route I spray fabric refresher on to the bed and carpets, which smells like laundry conditioner. Suppresses any other cologne etc. These desensitisers are usually sold in pet department of supermarkets in the UK. 🙂