50% price hike in 2 weeks

Sarah4888
Level 1
Huntington Beach, CA

50% price hike in 2 weeks

Hi, 

im looking to book a specific airbnb. When we went to book the place the price was at a normal range to other Airbnb’s in the area, unfortunately the owner said they were blocking all dates for a few weeks and would let us know when they would repost. When it was reposted two weeks later the price was 50% more. When we asked the owner about the extreme price hike they said to reach out to airbnb to make an inquiry. How do I do this? Thanks! 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah4888 I have no idea what this host is asking you to do. They may have smart pricing on which often makes things expensive until they don't book then they get very cheap. Even with smart pricing on the host controls the max and min price offered.

I would go elsewhere if I were you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It makes no sense for this host to tell you to contact Airbnb. It is the host who is responsible for setting the price for the listing not Airbnb.

They may use 'Smart Pricing'  which is a system where Airbnb will set the price using their own pricing system which can vary. But the host can easily over ride this and set their own pricing.

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 - just look for an alternative listing within your price range @Sarah4888 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The fact that he blocked his listing for a few weeks means he was re-evaluating the price he was charging for his listing thus far.  Then instead of point blank telling you the new price is what he has decided upon, he passes you on to Airbnb as if they are the ones who set the price that he is but the 'victim' of it also. To me this is quite cunning (and snaky), perhaps best to book elsewhere.

(I could think of a more sinister plot, but that includes global warning, the illuminati and the involvement of the CIA and perhaps that theory is way too sensational for this discussion. 🙂 )