A fraudulent payment

Answered!
Jo847
Level 1
Hereford, United Kingdom

A fraudulent payment

A fraudulent payment has gone through my bank account for an Airbnb booking that I have not made myself 

how can this be refunded to me

**[Title updated] 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo847 I wouldn't waste time with Airbnb. One call should be enough to tell them the payment is fraudulent. After that just ask your bank to initiate a chargeback.

The amount does seem very small. Have you stayed in an Airbnb recently and could this be a host charging for some sort of damage/extra people etc?

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jo847 ,

I understand how stressful this can be! Have you managed to get a hold of Airbnb Customer Support regarding this matter?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Jo847
Level 1
Hereford, United Kingdom

I am talking to someone via messenger but it’s extremely frustrating when I have just had £44.65 removed from my bank account. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo847 I wouldn't waste time with Airbnb. One call should be enough to tell them the payment is fraudulent. After that just ask your bank to initiate a chargeback.

The amount does seem very small. Have you stayed in an Airbnb recently and could this be a host charging for some sort of damage/extra people etc?

Brad887
Level 2
Salisbury, MD

My credit card was used to make fraudulent reservations worth over $1400 at AirBnb. They repeatedly tried to tell me that either I had made the reservations or that they were made by family or friends who had access to my credit card (none do).  I have communicated with **  None of them have been able or willing to provide me with any information about how my card was used. Nonetheless, I have receipts from my bank that show charges were made by a ** and I was able to determine that two locations were reserved, one in Fort Lauderdale, and one in Miami Beach. Yet AirBnb continues to play dumb and insist that the charges are valid. I don't think the fraud was an inside job, because I had only had that credit card for two months, and had not used it at AirBnb, so someone outside the company must have gained access to it. I have   blocked the charges at my bank, but they are still in dispute, so we'll see who wins.  I have never done business with a company thiis corrupt, so I am cancelling my account as soon as the matter is settled. Until then, I need the account in order to communicate with them, which is all one way (me to them) because they don't tell me anything. 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Brad887 Dealing with your bank is the only way to do this. Were the bookings made on your account? If so, to be fair to Airbnb they have no way of telling if you have been hacked or if you have just changed your mind regarding a booking.

I have already had my bank block the transaction. My AirBnb account was not hacked. The reservation was made in someone else's account with my credit card.