A guest who is complaining before he arrives

Sue2325
Level 1
London, Canada

A guest who is complaining before he arrives

I have a guest who has had at least 12 messages asking me about his stay. I have a note on my site that if they want to rent a hot tub, I can make arrangements for that. He requested that I find out about the spa. I made contact with the company I have used before. They took 2 weeks to get back to me to say that they were booked for Christmas time and had been since October. I gave this message to the renter. He had also tried to contact the company as well. They didn't reply to him. He also asked about cats and if I had them in the cottage. I explained to him about my cleaning routine and I think he was ok with that. He also wants to go to the beach several times during his stay. It's down an 80 foot cliff and I haven't expected anyone to go to the beach in the winter. I think it would not be safe. I have provided him with other options to get to the beach (through public access off my property), but, I am not convinced he will not use the stairs and I am concerned about their safety . I don't want them to use my beach access.

He let me know he was not happy about the hot tub rental . He said that it was a big part of the whole arrangement and that he wasn't happy to be informed after the deadline. 

I answered him 5 days ago with this reply ... I am sorry that the hot tub rental did not work out for you with Travel’n Tubs. Since you have indicated in your message the hot tub was a big part of the arrangement for your family, it is my understanding you are able to cancel your reservation and get a full refund from Air bnb at this time. Hopefully, this information helps you with your decision. Thanks.

He has not replied anything to my message. It is still just over 3 weeks before he's due to come. Do I have grounds to cancel his stay? At this point, I don't know if he's going to come or not. I feel he's not ever going to be satisfied. 

Do you have any advice for me how to handle this situation? Thanks. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sue2325 No you have no right to cancel this reservation. The listing is very clear that a hot tub can be made available for 7 day stays (no mention of subject to availability) and the beach access is very clearly advertised everywhere until I found a one liner at the end of the safety section saying it is closed in Winter. Of course I don't know when this was added nor do I know how you define Winter where you are.

To deal with this guest when he arrives I would be apologetic and just hope he responds appropriately.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sue2325 ! Did you hear back from the guest?

Hope Mike's tip helps you in dealing with the guest. Do share with us how the guest responded to your message since you posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Bhumika

Thanks for asking. I have still not had any reply from this renter. They have not cancelled. I have updated my listing to remove the hot tub rental and added the stairs are closed for the winter in the about the listing so it is prominent. These were all good suggestions. 

Thanks