AIRBNB AND MAJOR PROPERTY MANAGMENT HOSTS DOUBLE DIPPING

Dale1098
Level 2
Fayetteville, AR

AIRBNB AND MAJOR PROPERTY MANAGMENT HOSTS DOUBLE DIPPING

Airbnb is allowing from what we have noticed Double Dipping. It is mainly only big time property management Companies hosting on Airbnb Platforms. What is happening is Guests/travelers cancel a reservation and they are not AT ALL entitled to a refund! EVEN WHEN THE HOSTS REBOOKS THE PROPERTY! Which means AIRBNB And the Major property Management companies are DOUBLE DIPPING! Which is so unethical it is literally Insane! I understand if guests/travelers canceled a reservation and the property did not rebook! Sure keep the money! But what is happening to guest/travels who cancel and the property gets rebooked is literally INSANE! THEY ARE DOUBLE DIPPING AND COLLECTING MONEY FROM THE CANCELLED RESVERATION AND FROM THE NEW BOOKING AT THE SAME PROPERTY SO THEY ARE MAKING DOUBLE IF NOT TRIPLE OFF THE SAME DATES AND THE SAME PROPERTY! THIS IS SO UNETHICAL AND WILL BE A MAJOR LAWSUIT IN THE COMING FUTURE THAT AIRBNB WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH BECAUSE THEY ARE ALLOWING DOUBLE DIPPING BECAUSE AIRBNB PROFITS OFF OF IT AS WELL! IT IS SO SAD THAT AIRBNB HAS BECOME SUCH AN UNSAFE PLATFORM FOR GUESTS AND TRAVELERS!  

49 Replies 49
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I personally do a partial refund if it ends up double booked. Although we are NOT required to do so. 

That is so unethical! and People wonder why bookings on Airbnb have dropped off! If they cancel the reservation and it gets rebooked you should refund the entire amount to the guest/traveler because you are out no money! And if you keep someone's money and you are not out of pocket any money Shame on you! 

I don't think you know how it works, but yes when you cancel on a short notice and we need to find new guests to book we ARE out of money, and can't refund the whole reservation. Between airbnb fees and the rate adjustment that would need to happen. 

That said, we are NOT required to do this in the first place since guests may still be unhappy even if we offered partial refunds!

SIR DID YOU READ MY POST? IT SAYS IF YOU ARE OUT NO MONEY! IF YOU LOOSE NO MONEY YOU SHOULD REFUND THE MONEY BACK TO THE GUEST/TRAVLER ALL OF IT! IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS THAT IS VERY UNETHICAL! 

i ALWAYS lose money in this situation though. 

That's because you do not own your properties! And Your leasing Apartments and putting them back on Airbnb! If you do not rent at all your loose money every week! This should be illegal as well! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dale1098 There is nothing unethical about sticking to the terms of the contract entered into between the host and the guest. This does not make the platform unsafe in any way for guests and travellers. 
That said, similarly to @Zheng49 we will always refund, if requested, a guest if we get a replacement booking. BUT if we have to drop the price to get a last minute replacement then the original guest may well not get all that they paid back.

AGAIN! IF YOU ARE OUT OF POCKET MONEY THAT IS FINE! BUT IF YOU ARE DOUBLE DIPPING AND MAKING MORE THEN YOU WOULD HAVE THAT IS UNETHICAL! AND AIRBNB AND SEVERAL HOSTS ARE DOING THIS! WHICH IS WHY AIRBNB ARE LOOSING GUESTS/TRAVELERS! It is unethical for any person who has ever made more money by or through double dipping on cancelled reservations! 

There are also circumstances where say the guest initially books a 2 week reservation, and then leave after the 1st week. Would you refund the whole 2nd week out of your own pocket even if the 2nd week gets rebooked at the same rate? AFAIK you are out at least 15-20% due to airbnb fees even if you didn't need to adjust the rates down. 

YESSSS! SOMETIMES IN BUSINESS YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CUSTOMERS HAPPY! IN THIS CASE OUR GUESTS/TRAVELERS ARE THE CUSTOMERS! IF YOU HAVE A REAL BUSINESS YOU WOULD KNOW SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO LOOSE MONEY IN BUSINESS! ITS PART OF RUNNING A BUSINESS! NOT SCAMMING PEOPLE OUT OF MONEY AND DOUBLE DIPPING ON CANCELLED RESVERATIONS! ITS BUSINESS 101! ITS HOW YOU SUSTAIN A REPUTABLE BUSINESS! AIRBNB AND MAJOR PROPERTY MANGEMENT COMPANIES ARE RIPPING OFF OUR CUSTOMERS (GUESTS/TRAVELERS UNTHEICALLY) Millions and Millions of Dollars! 

how are you double dipping exactly if you're losing money? double dipping is when you get the money from a cancelled reservation. don't refund any part of it, then secure another reservation on the same day.

more like LESS THAN single dipping if you ask me. 

SIR YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR EVEN TALKING ABOUT! NOR DOES THIS PERTAIN TO YOU IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Dale1098  Your rant is actually incorrect and inappropriate. When a guest books, they enter a contract with the host. If the guest cancels for any reason, they are bound by the terms of the contract. When the guest cancels, any refund (or none) is processed according to the terms of the contract. 

What happens after that is none of the guests' business. If the property is rebooked, and the host CHOOSES to refund some of the money, that is a choice on the host's part, not an obligation. 

If the guest refuses to cancel, the host cannot rebook, but the guest is out all of the funds anyway. You may make your own personal decision about canceling a booking, but you are incorrect in condemning AirBnB and all hosts for something you misunderstand. 

And the use of ALL CAPS just makes it seem as if you are yelling. You can make your point using lower case font. 

EXACTLY YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM! STEALING MONEY FROM PEOPLE AND DOUBLE DIPPING! THIS IS AMERICA I CAN USE LOWER CASE OR UPPER CASE ANYTIME I WANT! BUT DON'T WORRY AT LEAST I AM NOT STEALING MONEY FROM OUR CUSTOMERS! GUESTS AND TRAVELERS!