Account suspended false allegations

Simon3825
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Account suspended false allegations

Hi

I have had my account suspended after a host accused me of hate speech. 

It's completely untrue and occurred after I left a genuine if critical review. Her place was dirty and had none of the amenities listed. She sent me threatening and aggressive messages. I got Airbnb involved immediately. They assured me it had all been resolved and she had been warned but then I was suspended for this completely untrue allegation. I don't know what to do. 

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Simon3825 if you are 'just' suspended then this will probably get sorted once Airbnb investigate. You are suffering from the Airbnb assumption of guilt that they apply to hosts as well, it appears, to guests.

Simon3825
Level 2

It may be more than suspended?

This is an email I received this afternoon.

I don't know what this documentation or communication is. The last thing I sent to the host was a message saying see you about 5. 

Since then it's all been the other way from her to me. 

They haven't shown me what documentation or communication they have either. 

I am really unhappy about this. Stressed out. And worried. It's a horrible thing to be accused of and found guilty without trial. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Simon3825 Hmmm - It does appear that you are toast! Unless one of the moderators such as @Sybe can ask Airbnb to look at this again then you are probably stuffed. The only other idea would be to approach the Daily Mail as they recently supported a guest whom Airbnb wouldn't let cancel his reservation after he discovered there was an 8pm curfew applied to the listing. I don't like the idea of dragging Airbnb through the press as it doesn't do our business any good but if you are truly not guilty then this is an approach to consider.

Simon3825
Level 2

What I have been accused of is actually defamation. And is libellous or slanderous. I am going to get a solicitor involved. 

@Simon3825 Don't waste your money. From my limited legal knowledge I think it has to be public to be considered libel or slander.

Sadly unless they are discriminating Airbnb can choose who does and does not use its platform.

Simon3825
Level 2

Anyone know how to make an appeal?

airbnb are very bad at telling me. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Simon3825, it seems that the Support team has already communicated with you about the resolution. If you still have any questions in this regard, you can always reach out to the Support team again to appeal for their decision through the Support contact channels.

I have also forwarded your feedback to the team.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Simon3825
Level 2

Yes the support team contacted me about the resolution. And I disputed it as it's based upon an untrue allegation. The support team told me to make an appeal through the website. And I can't find where to appeal. Can you help? 

Simon3825
Level 2

Hi

Please can you tell me how to appeal. 

There is a deafening silence from Airbnb about this. 

Simon 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"I left a genuine if critical review.."

Be interesting to see what did you say in your review, then others can appreciate whether this is an  absurdity or a  justified action.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Simon3825 so your hosting account has been suspended because of an issue with you leaving a guest review with yourself as the guest? or did you leave a review for a guest ? The last message being 'see you at five' or the review?You must unpack this very carefully and review your review. Unless there is something obviously out of left field here then maybe just ask for more information or ask to have the review removed if on reflection it is unfair or 'brings the other person into disrepute'..It is okay to say the house was left dirty ,if true but not generally to say that a person was dirty. ITs difficult to help you if we do not know more . How you could be rascist on a review is beyond me . Reviews generally,unless really bad and a warning to the next host about bad behaviour should just stick to the facts and the private message to the guest can be used to let the guest know about broken rules or hopefully nice personal comments. But neither can be used for racist comments .I hope this is merely a misunderstanding as the guest was being aggressive and  may well have accused you of being rascist when this was not the case.People can easily accuse you of things which simply may not be true ,but if they do and it is racism then there is an investigation. ...H