AirBNB ringing to ask me to take a guest at short notice. Now robbed by this guest!

John8026
Level 1
Brighton, Australia

AirBNB ringing to ask me to take a guest at short notice. Now robbed by this guest!

I recently had a call from Airbnb after I did not accept a same day request for a 1 night stay. I then received a phone call from Airbnb asking t=me to take on the guest and said airbnb was paying for her due to an issue at the airbnb she had arrived at. I reluctantly took on this guest who was only a recent guest on airbnb and had only one review. I only take longer term guests with multiple reviews and full ID checks.  I look carefully at profiles and have had minimal issues with guests over ten years of hosting.

I accepted reluctantly this guest based on airbnb intervening. As were were not home I gave security code details and she was able to access the property.

This guest has taken over $15,000 luxury items and  clothing. We normally have private areas closed off  but as we were not home could not do so. She asked for extra towels and accessed the private area to get them based upon my guidance on the phone and by SMS. She brought a friend, they ate prawns in the room and left the bathroom over running after long showers. The long shower I think provided a cover for her going through wardrobes and the normally closed off WIR area.

This appaers to have been a scammer from the start who not only got free accommodation,. but used her "issue" which gave her access to a luxury property in Brighton to then steal from.

The matter is now with AirBNB and they asked me not to go to the Police. I have this woman's mobile, I have found her on Facebook but am waiting on an escalated dispute resolution from AirBNB..

Any help and guidance fellow hosts??

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John8026 Advice from Airbnb is totally wrong. Go to the police immediately although as you gave the key to the guest then they may not be interested. Even then I believe they will give you a crime number which you will need for your insurance claim.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a horrible situation to find yourself in. To make a claim on the Airbnb Guarantee and your own home insurance for short term lets you need a police report. I am not sure whether you may have invalidated your insurance by having your private areas open for the guest to access and inviting the guest into this space.

You are under no obligation to accept a guest because Airbnb asks you to. What did they say was the issue at the previous listing she stayed at? Unfortunately it was risky to let a guest self check in while you were out for a longer period and direct them to your private quarters (why did she need extra towels for one person immediately upon checking in).

Why did Airbnb ask you not to go to the police? Do you have this in writing. Strange as it's a condition of claiming under the guarantee that you make a police report.

I do hope you can make a successful claim.

I will make a police report. I have not heard back from Airbnb beyond an email stating the matter is being escalated internally. John