Airbnb Canceling Reservation without contacting us or the host of the property

Ann35989
Level 1
Kennebunkport, ME

Airbnb Canceling Reservation without contacting us or the host of the property

This morning I was sent a email that my reservation for a Airbnb for March 29-April 4th was cancelled. Airbnb told me they had already credited back my credit card with the deposit amount?? Nothing from anyone prior to this email? The response from Airbnb was the property had a ghost account & they had to cancel it? Luckily I was able to get in touch with the property owner & found out that she was not informed of this either?? Who else has had this happen??? 

I was able to go on her website & see a “Warning in Bold Letters” that Airbnb had cancelled all of their reservations. I spoke with her & our reservation is still good!! Did this happen to anyone else??

On top of it…they credited back the deposit to a cancelled credit card & we are trying to figure out how to get the money back!!! No apology, no interest from them holding our money for 7 months?? Do not think I will ever use Airbnb again!  @Airbnb 

2 Replies 2
Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Ann35989 I have heard of cancelations without host or guest wanting it but this “ghost account” is a bit less usual and I’m curious to learn more. 

Does the host know anything about this “ghost account” at all? Does her dashboard look normal

to her or does it seem shut down?

Regarding a canceled credit card getting the refund don’t worry that happens all the time. If your card was replaced then the credit will find its way easily to your account. Even if you completely cut ties with the issuing bank of your old credit card they have a way to get the refund to you. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Ann35989 

I've never heard of Airbnb telling a guest they are cancelling a booking because of a 'ghost' account.

Despite what the host said, you can't still have a booking if Airbnb cancelled the booking and returned your money.

Personally I wouldn't try and keep the booking with the host. Normally Airbnb cancel bookings on a hosts account if they have very low ratings or there was a guest complaint about the listing. What are the hosts reviews like?