Airbnb Failure to Remove Retaliatory Reviews Part 2: Squatter situation

Ingrid767
Level 2
South Bend, IN

Airbnb Failure to Remove Retaliatory Reviews Part 2: Squatter situation

I’m a super host and co-host of several listings. The guest overstayed and hours after the reservation was over, she(Abbey) sent a message requesting 7 days credit/refund for the days out of the month that they were out. We denied the request then they decided to overstayed without telling anyone. The cleaning crew went as usual and the dog pops out on the window. So they left. Then I sent my sister and the cleaning crew again. This time my dad is recording a video around the property. Abbey’s boyfriend comes out and starts yelling at my sister. Then he repeats “I kill” several times in the video (very disturbing). I had to call the police. First time, they let it go. I assume they didn’t know how to address the situation without making the case a civil matter. So the police gave them a day to leave and they didn’t so the police came back 2 more times. The last time the police came prepared with 5 police cars ready to get these people out of the house. The couple successfully left the property after two days of overstaying. The guy peeped all over the house damaged mattresses, sofa, carpets and wood floor. The guy is from NY and wanted to claim squatter’s rights in Indiana. The police proceeded to give them 2 hours to get out of the house before they get arrested. I submitted several requests/complaints through the Airbnb support chat to remove her review. I can’t count anymore how many times I’ve been denied the request. Airbnb is not following its own policy about retaliation. This is damaging my business and encouraging more people to just get away with free nights with no consequences. 

Airbnb Review Policy & Analysis. Pursuant to “A Simpler Way to Dispute Retaliatory Reviews,” found in the New features & policies section in the Resource Center, “[Hosts] should feel comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review. You can dispute a retaliatory review . . . from guests who commit a serious violation of policies[.]” To be considered for removal, the Host must "demonstrate a serious policy violation and that [Host's] enforcement of a policy led to the retaliatory review." Serious violations of policies, according to Airbnb, include guests that (1) damage property, (2) overstay their reservation, and/or (3) violate house rules.

0 Replies 0