Airbnb Gift Card

Tiffany919
Level 2
Athens, AL

Airbnb Gift Card

Please don’t purchase any gift card from Airbnb. I purchased one at Lowe’s for $463 the exact amount that was needed for our stay. I activated it the moment I got in my car but I’m getting the error message that says the card has already been redeemed. Lowe’s can’t refund it because it’s saying that it’s been used and Airbnb refuses to help me after I have spent thousands of dollars over the years with them. I so disappointed in the company because I have received minimal help. 

3 Replies 3
Melanie1372
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Same thing is happening to me. I was told by customer service (on a recorded call) that people need to send feedback/raise an complaint and the more that do it the better. 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Tiffany919  I am sorry to hear this how frustrating.  Why do you purchase a gift card for your own reservation on Airbnb?  Why not just check out with a credit card?  Just curious. 

Karen
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tiffany919 This is a scam that is often perpetrated in the UK with amazon cards so I assume it happens in the US as well.

Apparently scammers steal cards (which are worthless until activated at the till). They then use the cards to pay for something (not really sure how this bit works) and then put the cards back in the shop. Next they wait until someone buys the card and activates it at which point they use the money quickly before the purchaser can.

As such it feels like the shop is responsible.