Airbnb allows hosts to defraud multiple guests before taking action

Anatoly16
Level 2
Croissy-sur-Seine, France

Airbnb allows hosts to defraud multiple guests before taking action

Dear Airbnb Community,

I am writing this urgent post to alert fellow travelers about a concerning issue I recently encountered on Airbnb. My experience highlights the importance of vigilance when booking accommodations on the platform.

I recently booked an apartment on Airbnb for a vacation rental, only to discover that the host had stolen photos from another legitimate listing in a different location. This discovery led me to realize that I had fallen victim to a scam.

Despite my efforts to bring this fraudulent activity to Airbnb's attention, the response I received was deeply disappointing. While Airbnb acknowledged the issue, they stated that they would only take action after three more people were defrauded by the same host. This policy is unacceptable and puts countless travelers at risk of falling victim to scams.

As a result of this experience, my vacation was ruined, and I suffered significant stress and health issues. It is clear that Airbnb needs to implement stronger measures to prevent fraudulent listings and protect its users.

I urge all members of the Airbnb community to exercise caution when booking accommodations and to report any suspicious activity immediately. With such a policy in place, we are left vulnerable and unprotected.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Anatoly

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anatoly16 given that hosts do not get paid until 24 hrs after check in I really do not see how this scam benefits them. Claiming 1000 Euros for distress does seem perhaps a bit rich though!

Thank you for your reply.

In my case, the host abruptly stopped responding to messages on the day of check-in, leaving me with no choice but to cancel the booking. As per Airbnb's cancellation policy, this resulted in a 50% loss of the reservation price.

While Airbnb eventually provided a full refund, obtaining it required numerous messages, calls, and considerable effort on my part. This experience caused significant stress and inconvenience, which was not what I expected when booking a vacation through Airbnb.

I chose Airbnb because I believed I could trust the platform and avoid such issues.

Unfortunately, the last-minute cancellation left me with limited options for alternative accommodations, significantly impacting the quality of my vacation. While the request for 1000 euros may seem steep, it reflects the distress and disruption caused by this experience. Despite the ordeal, I did not receive any compensation from Airbnb.

I hope sharing my experience will help others avoid similar situations in the future.

Thank you for understanding.