Airbnb doesn’t care about hosts or guests

Nahuel-Tobias0
Level 2
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica

Airbnb doesn’t care about hosts or guests

I’m amazed by how criminal and useless can airbnb be

+1 week ago I reserved an apartment for over 1 month in Greece, I planned my whole trip around it

A few days later I’m charged an extra amount in the name of airbnb, I inquired my bank, PayPal and Airbnb about it, so PayPal filed a dispute with airbnb to check if the amount was charged correctly or if there was an error, turn out it was a VAT tax, I didn’t make a huge deal and just sucked it up. 
Then the day after, PayPal closes the case and confirms there was to error, but when I thought things couldn’t go wrong, airbnb cancels my non-refundable reservation, because of that dispute, and it sends me an email saying I’ll be refunded around 90% of the amount I paid, the money hasn’t even arrived so I can’t even re book my apartment, and my trip is in 3 weeks, airbnb is supposed to have protocols and aircover for things like this but they completely ignore them, they’re saying the refund usually takes 10-60 days, can you believe that? My trip is in less than 3 weeks. 

Now I’m stressing, contacting everyone nonstop, and they just play ping pong with me, no resolution agent helping me re-book, they don’t send a tracking of the refund, they don’t tell me what happened to the remains 10%, and they’re making me bleed money.

Bottom line is, everyday I realise airbnb is one of the worst ways to be a traveler and a host, they constantly violate laws and rights

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? What should I do? 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi  @Nahuel-Tobias0 

Sorry I am rather confused by your post. If this is an experience you are encountering as a guest? If so you may be better posting on the main forums rather than the host circle to get wider feedback.

Are you saying Airbnb cancelled your booking because you initiated a charge back via paypal? If so, I can see why they would have cancelled your booking.

I am sure it must be a very stressful time for you. I think Airbnb normally takes up to 10 days for refunds.  If you can - use your credit card to book a holiday in Greece (while waiting for your funds to be returned by Airbnb) using another STR operator as you are so disillusioned with Airbnb.

Nahuel-Tobias0
Level 2

Hey I never even mentioned a charge back? PayPal just checked with airbnb if the amount I was charged was correct since there was an extra charge a few days after, but airbnb cancelled my reservation while it was checking that with PayPal. My reservation is still cancelled, I didn’t get a refund despite the fact that the conclusion was that there was no issue, none of this makes sense

I’ve used airbnb many many times and I’ve been a host for +2 years, I’ve never seen anything like this and I have no clue what to do. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Nahuel-Tobias0 

As @Helen3 mentions, this is a guest query, so I've moved this over to the appropriate board for you.

I'll check in with Support about your case and see if we can get someone in touch with you to provide more information.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Nahuel-Tobias0
Level 2

Hey Jenny, thanks for your help, I’m very stressed and this situation makes no sense whatsoever. 

I’ve always been a great guest and a great host, I don’t know how to react or what to do as a guest, or if I was a host in this situation, makes no sense that my reservation is cancelled because there’s no issue with the payment and if something like this can happen just like that it’s a huge flaw in the system 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

No problem @Nahuel-Tobias0 - can you give it a week and pop back here if you've not heard anything back?

I really hope that you hear something soon so you can understand what happened.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Nahuel-Tobias0
Level 2

Thanks, I hope I don’t have to wait a week because I’m already stressing too much, and my trip is very soon, I had planned everything around the apartment that I paid upfront, and airbnb cancelled it and has my money. 
Now I’m waiting for support, they’re supposedly working on it and will fix it soon but I don’t understand why don’t they just re-book it and fix this mess

And I do understand what happened, PayPal just did a normal investigation to see if there was an error, and there wasn’t, that was the end of it, but airbnb cancelled my reservation, violated my host cancellation policy and my rights

Anyways I’ll update when/if this is solved,  or if Airbnb ruined my trip and made me lose money