Airbnb has a listing which is unsafe

Michelle3362
Level 2
Wellington, FL

Airbnb has a listing which is unsafe

I had rented a home that was built outside of building code without a fire egress in the bedroom. This means if I were sleeping in the bedroom at night and there was a fire, I would burn to death since there was no window or way for me to escape. I happen to be in the building industry, so I notice several code volitations, that one being the greatest. For that and other reasons, I informed the owner via Airbnb chat that I would not stay in the home, but they nor Airbnb will provide me with a refund nor remove the listing until it is made safe.  

I have tried everything; I do not know what more to do. ** I already called the local building department in regards to her violations but Airbnb is a real problem. Airbnb and the owner would be accountable for manslaughter if a tragedy would occur through their neglect to obey and enforce the Law?

I have asked to speak with a manger three times, and I have spoken to no one. I feel like they are acting like they are above the law and can do anything they want as long as they are gaining money. Please help!

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

10 Replies 10
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Michelle 3362, I assume that if the room was not used by the host as a bedroom it would be okay. New reg codes and old built houses I think probably do not comply in many ways . Many back packers died in an Australian fire tragedy a number of years ago ,so I hear you, but I suggest that a polite note to the owner is sufficient and a suggestion that the room is not suitable for a bedroom , also leave a note on your review.,to say that you felt unsafe in the bedroom , I assume you could have bunked on the couch for that night and left in the morning ... H

Yes, only bedrooms need a way out during a fire. I spoke to the owner over and over again trying to let her know the problem, so she could change it without me calling the authorities. But she was in no way interested in changing anything or even refunding me. She was offended that I found her home not acceptable. Said she was not going to take a loss in income, because I didn't find it acceptable when everyone else has been happy.

The home did not seem to be old; she was just appeared to try to use a room that was not a true bedroom as one. What makes everything worse is that she told me she was a builder. Therefore, she knows code and with full knowledge just did not care. 

Hi Michelle,

I am going through a similar circumstance right now. I did not have a window in my "bedroom" and the door locked from the inside, or outside, with a padlock which makes it even worse. What if I lost the key?

I was told Airbnb Claims would contact me. Did they ever agree to take down that listing, or you had to resort to a complaint with the local government office? 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

What did the photos show that you should have looked at prior to booking?

I could not see every wall from the photos. I did not know that there was no window on any wall. Plus, I was not looking for code violations. I assumed Airbnb rented safe homes.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Who owns this building, Airbnb or someone else? Is this place also offered by other booking agencies, not just Airbnb? Was the building constructed before the 2-entrance/exit requirement and what is the policy by the local municipality concerning older buildings or non-compliant ones?

I would assume you answered these questions before: 1. calling the local building department on Airbnb, 2. finding out about liabilities and 3. coming to the conclusion Airbnb thinks they are above 'The Law'. And now asking for help, with what exactly?

Your personal home inspection raises many questions.

I rented this home through Airbnb. I informed the owner and Airbnb of the safety violations and supplied them both with a copy of the local building code showing them the safety violation. Yet, neither Airbnb or the owner cared about the safety of its guests. They are content with renting unsafe homes and have no intention of changing.

The only way I was able to get the owner to change was by calling the local building department and informing them of the code violation, so they forced her to remove her home until the violation is corrected. 

However, Airbnb, does NOT want to implement safety measures to see that hosts do not rent unsafe homes. Nor do they want to refund me my money for refusing to stay in an unsafe home. Both are unethical. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Michelle3362 

I've passed your concerns over to the team, so that they can review your comments and worries.

Someone should be in touch once they've done that.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Jenny, nobody still cares... does Airbnb have any ethics? What is going on?

I just had the same problem.  The listing shows the bedroom/efficiency window but it is black and I assumed the host took pictures at night. Not the case at all. The window is blocked. I've used airbnb exclusively since 2018 now and never had issue until two nights ago. Will see if airbnb cares I've sent them photo images and made it 100% clear that they're 100%liable and would be negligent if they continue to list the place. 

What is also disturbing is how quickly I found posts of unsafe airbnb rentals when I did a broad Google search.