Airbnb negligence

Airbnb negligence

I’m june 2022  I reached out to Airbnb whom quickly escalated my request for help as I was scared for my life in Mexico City. Then no response or help. 

Security is a joke and our information not private. People were able to find my location and get access to my Airbnb as when I arrived they were already there. I was held hostage ans psychologically harassed.
I was able to get back home finally through the help of family and the Canadian consulate.
Almost one year later and I’m still suffering from PTSD from the situation.

im writing here because people need to know that Airbnb is not always safe and I never got a call back from Airbnb or any help at all. 

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Matthew1734 this sounds dreadful. Is it likely that the host was some sort of criminal who gave your location to their criminal mates? Has Airbnb shut down the listing? I'm interested in what additional measures you think they should take. Law enforcement can request additional details of hosts from Airbnb but a guest will not have access to these data.

Yes I believe ans so did the embassy that this was all well planned out from the start. Local law enforcement could not be contacted as some were part of it and in Mexico different areas of the police are involved In criminal activity. Unfortunately it’s very corrupt. 

@Matthew1734 If you can't trust the police then I am not sure going to Mexico City outside of the big hotels is safe. Short of Airbnb shutting down in Mexico City what would you expect Airbnb to do?

I’m just putting my story out there to give people a heads up in the hope they are careful and doesn’t happen to them. 

@Matthew1734 but your title says Airbnb was negligent. In what respect was it negligent?

I reached out to Airbnb prior to the situation as I was already feeling unsafe at the Airbnb and explained my situation and they said they would escalate and get back to me within 24 hours and never did. 

Also when my partner didn’t hear from me as I was taken hostage and unable to communicate, he reached out to Airbnb who said would investigate and they did come to him some time later saying I was safe. 

how could that be that I was safe when I wasn’t and nobody from Airbnb could or would have been able to communicate with me to know I was safe. 

Reason why I say negligence. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps hearing the facts how all this came to be will be most helpful.

What facts do you mean? 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Matthew1734 ,

So sorry to hear you had to face such a traumatic incident. I will try to make sure this particular feedback reaches the right team.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines