Airbnb’s new charge for differing currencies

Answered!
Cynthia1310
Level 2
Martinsburg, WV

Airbnb’s new charge for differing currencies

Just received an email with Airbnb updated TOS:

Starting April 1, 2024, for cross-currency bookings, the guest service fee will include an additional amount of up to 2% of the booking total before taxes. This will be applied when the currency the guest uses to pay differs from the currency that the Host set for their listing.”

Perhaps they’re only following what other rentals are doing but it stings and is not necessary. It’s just one more money grab that many companies are taking advantage of.

I have 5 Airbnbs reserved for a 3 week international trip in June and this will add yet another $100 to my total. That’s the cost of one very nice dinner out. And I’m already over budget thanks to escalating airfares.

I will think again before I book another Airbnb for international travel. 

EDITED: Now I’m confused. Going back through this board it would appear that a 3% rate for cross-currency was already in effect. But it wasn’t “transparent”. Meaning, a guest only learns of it in the booking total page. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cynthia1310 Surely this additional fee only applies to bookings made after April 1 not those made prior to April for travel after April. It would not be legal in England to change the price after a contract had been formed without the agreement of both parties.

This new fee is really a bit of a con. I am sure there are similar numbers of English people booking US stays as there are US people booking UK stays so actually Airbnb will have no currency conversion costs. It is a shame that Airbnb is just taking an opportunistic approach to making extra money.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cynthia1310 Surely this additional fee only applies to bookings made after April 1 not those made prior to April for travel after April. It would not be legal in England to change the price after a contract had been formed without the agreement of both parties.

This new fee is really a bit of a con. I am sure there are similar numbers of English people booking US stays as there are US people booking UK stays so actually Airbnb will have no currency conversion costs. It is a shame that Airbnb is just taking an opportunistic approach to making extra money.

Thanks! I was actually wondering about this. I still owe the second half of my bookings. But I’m happy to hear it’s illegal to add a charge after the fact so I’ll assume I’m safe. BTW my trip is to England. 😊 

Hi @Cynthia1310 Great to hear you are coming to England. Clearly less happy that you are not coming to us LOL.

Armin246
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

Money grab scam. Thats what the cross currency fee is. On Wise and Remitly the charges are much lower. Well below 2%. International transactions are becoming cheaper and easier. But Airbnb needs to introduce this fee now. Is nothing but a scam.