Anyone having my address. Safety issue

Answered!
Javer2
Level 2
Santa Clarita, CA

Anyone having my address. Safety issue

I don’t think a guest should get my address before the reservation because it’s just happened to me today and it was scary. 

I was out running errands and received a message for a booking it was confirmed automatically I don’t know why because I haven’t set  so that they have to do an introduction first but that’s OK. He booked it and I look at his profile and there’s no reviews and very minimal information.. 

I open the message. It’s a message saying he wants to do a third-party booking for a person who might not even speak English so as I am about to pull into my driveway so I can park and  I can reply to this message,  I see him walking up to my door? 

He’s actually in my property so I don’t understand how he got my address because the booking isn’t until the next day. 

I don’t think it’s a good idea that anybody can get your address at any time just by doing a booking because then they can cancel which is exactly what this guy did he came. We talked. I told him I couldn’t do a third-party booking so  he left and he canceled the reservation a few minutes later but I don’t know anything about the guy and now he has my address. 

So I called Airbnb assuming it was a mistake or a misunderstanding on their end, and they said that when the booking is confirmed, they release the address to the guest. 

So basically, I can book anybody’s house for next week and I’ll have the address today and I can just cancel a few minutes later. 

I think this is a safety safety issue that needs to be addressed. 

has this happened to anyone else ? 

1 Best Answer

Hello Javer,

There is an option that you can tick which means that guests won't  have access to your phone number and address until AFTER your free cancellation period.  If you want to check whether you have opted into this, follow these steps:

Menu

==>Listing details

==>Location

==>Location sharing EDIT

You can choose from a) General Location or b) Specific Location

==>Tick "Address Privacy for cancellations"

Have a nice Sunday,

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Do you have Instant Booking on? Why I ask..

"I haven’t set so that they have to do an introduction first.."

Hello Fred and thavks for the reply. I don’t think I’m on instant booking. 

after I called Airbnb help support they said they give the address to the guest upon acceptance of the booking. 

I went in to change it after and I think they set instant booking with the change that occurred on the update for the disclosures so I changed it back but I still don’t think the address should be handed over until the reservation date 

Got you. They may have erroneously had IB on for you. And yes, giving out the address  so far ahead does raise a cautionary tale, never thought about it before. Book, get address, cancel..hmmm.

thats what happened and support said that they can’t change or do anything about it … so now this guys got my address,  knows where I live and what car I drive  … not cool 

Hello Javer,

There is an option that you can tick which means that guests won't  have access to your phone number and address until AFTER your free cancellation period.  If you want to check whether you have opted into this, follow these steps:

Menu

==>Listing details

==>Location

==>Location sharing EDIT

You can choose from a) General Location or b) Specific Location

==>Tick "Address Privacy for cancellations"

Have a nice Sunday,

Joëlle

Thank you Joelle abd let me try tgat because support said if I change the address it’s a violation of the terms 

876D5D9D-875E-4BBE-847B-640B7EF20590.png

 it looks like that worked. Wow thank you Joelle. I didn’t a good 25 mins talking to support and they told me to put it in the feedback because there was nothing I could do. Thanks a million 

Hi @Javer2

Glad it worked out for you and hope you feel safer now😊 

All the best

Joëlle

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

I'm so sorry to hear about this experience, and I can understand why you are concerned about safety. Did that particular guest bother you with their presence later?

Really glad that Joelle's response below helped you with your query. Stay safe!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines