Bad review after declining a refund

Answered!
Holly654
Level 2
Eastbourne, United Kingdom

Bad review after declining a refund

Sorry, but this may be a long story, I am a brand new host, listing the spare room in my apartment, I initially only planned on agreeing to short stays, but received a request for a 28 night stay which I agreed to, he had problems with the payment, but after a lot of back and forth the booking was confirmed. He then, 2 weeks before the reservation cancelled as he claimed his payment was not being taken. I decided to block of the dates and do some redecorating at home. 

He then asked to re-book, but again had the same issues paying, so agreed to 2 2 week bookings, honoring the discounted 28 day rate, so the first 2 week res was for 15 nights at the appropriate rate for that with the weekly discount, and i amended the price on the second weekly res so the total matched the 28 day rate. 

He then asked to come 2 days prior to the start of the reservation, i advised i was busy but he asked, ok, what a out 1 day early. I agreed but mentioned although the room would be ready i would still be finishing some projects and deep cleaning the apartment. 

After 15 days he told me he had found a permanent place to stay, and cancelled his 2nd 2 week res, for which he received a 50% refund as per the cancellation policy, he is now requesting a refund for half of the total cost of the 2 stays. 

I said the discounted 28 night rate was not valid as he didn't stay that long, therefore the nightly rate for 15 was appropriate and I don't owe him any money back. He also stayed an extra night either side of this 15, so 17 in total. 

As a new host i said i would rather Aibnb resolve the matter and decide if any money is due and to account for their fees etc. He is now claiming I have shafted him, and has written a very negative review in retaliation, which Airbnb say does not go against their policy. 

Its become very confusing, and I feel I kept bending over backwards and changing things for him, its put me off hosting any further. I am trying to be fair. He has paid the rate valid for 15 nights, and stayed that, not sure how I owe him? 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Holly654 A few thoughts:

His original 28 night booking would have been taken under the long term cancellation policy that overrides your usual policy so he would have got no refund.

As a new host you have done nothing wrong except being panned in your first review. I wonder if you should shut down the listing (snooze if you have bookings) and start again with a new one. Others will comment if this is not allowed.

When responding to a guest review it should be targeted at future guests not the one that left the review. Yours isn't bad but it doesnt address the points relevant to future guests such at noise and temperature.

Final learning point is that, quite often, if a booking is high maintenance then the guest will be as well.

Good luck and I hope your future guests improve on this chap.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Holly654 A few thoughts:

His original 28 night booking would have been taken under the long term cancellation policy that overrides your usual policy so he would have got no refund.

As a new host you have done nothing wrong except being panned in your first review. I wonder if you should shut down the listing (snooze if you have bookings) and start again with a new one. Others will comment if this is not allowed.

When responding to a guest review it should be targeted at future guests not the one that left the review. Yours isn't bad but it doesnt address the points relevant to future guests such at noise and temperature.

Final learning point is that, quite often, if a booking is high maintenance then the guest will be as well.

Good luck and I hope your future guests improve on this chap.

Holly654
Level 2
Eastbourne, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your reply, its really useful to hear the points about responding to the review too. i did frequently ask if it was warm enough etc as it has been very cold lately in the UK, and nothing was ever brought up. Also the bathroom is brand new and spotless. 

High maintenance is definitely the term I was looking for! 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Holly654  In a nutshell, perhaps what is best now is to use this first experience as a lesson of what not to do - (i.e. "I feel I kept bending over backwards and changing things for him"). Hosting requires consistency and a skill not to get near too-complex of individuals; those with complicated needs  are best kept well away from one's shore, especially in the beginning.

Start over, no sense wasting time, read further and do not hesitate to ask questions (here is a good place) and begin with a simpler consistent approach, fair to guests and you.

Good luck. 🙂