Bed bug issue

Casey326
Level 1
Detroit, MI

Bed bug issue

I'm supposed to be staying in an Airbnb starting tomorrow, and in a very recent review someone said that they had experienced bed bugs. The host responded saying he himself looked and did not see any, but I'm very concerned that he did not have a professional inspect.

A few years ago I had a bed bug problem, and it took even an inspector over an hour to find any evidence of bed bugs (despite that I had gotten bites), so I know they're not always easy to see. 

I contacted Airbnb support and they just said they'll ask the host if they want to give me a refund for my stay (which they almost certainly won't, since it's tomorrow). Is there anything I can do about this?

3 Replies 3
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps work with the host and mention you are aware that the issue of bed bugs has been raised, and if they do not exist you will stay (further), if they do you will leave. You are then giving reality a chance.

P.S. The sheer mention of bed bugs doesn't make it a fact, sometimes it is brought up for sinister purposes or by someone innocently mistaken. Sometimes.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Casey326  I would recontact Airbnb and more strongly express how uncomfortable you are with the idea of being exposed to potential bed bugs.  The fact that the host 'looked around and didn't see any' is worthless.  Yes, it is true that some guests lie about bed bugs in order to get a refund, but this isn't what the host told you.  And even if guests do lie, the host really needs to have a professional come and certify that the property is free of them.

If it were me, I would not stay there and I would expect a full refund.  

Jasmine527
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

@Casey326 I am so sorry to hear. I will also be facing a similar issue soon, as I came across a review about a bedbug problem in the place where I'll be staying with my mom for over a month. Please keep me updated on how it goes.