Bookings have just stopped

Anthony218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Bookings have just stopped

Been a AirBnB host (Superhost) for several properties over the last 7 years. 
My current properties 1 year anniversary was last month. 
Since the anniversary, I've noticed a HUGE drop in bookings. 
This is normally the busiest time of year for bookings. Has been like that on every property I've owned.

Now, nothing. 1 booking in the last 6 weeks...

It's not down to 'market saturation', seasonal lows, or anything like this.

It's 100% down to the fact that my property has suddenly become 'invisible' on the platform.

I'm presuming it dropped off a 'new property' list, as a result, no see/no book...

Has anyone dealt with this? How did you sort it?

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How do you know it's not down to market saturation/seasonal lows @Anthony218 

Anthony218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Helen
Seasonal lows have never affected any of my properties over the last 7 years. My locations have always had year round appeal. 

Market saturation would show a percentage decrease, not a total stop in what has always been my busiest period for advance bookings.

I'm not getting last minute bookings, advance bookings, nothing. It's just stopped.

And, I've tried to search for my property and have friends search as well. The property has all but disappeared...

I've read other long terms hosts are having the same issues. Apparently, AirBnB have changed their search algorithm, which appears to no longer take into account 'Superhost' or 'Guest Favourite' making a lot of properties vanish from their search listings.

Dale1098
Level 2
Fayetteville, AR

That is because Airbnb are losing guests/travelers left and right because they are doing them wrong! I have many horror stories but this one is crazy! Imagine your a guest and you cancel your reservation and you do not get a refund EVEN IF THEY GET THE PROPERTY REBOOKED FOR THE SAME DATES! AIRBNB IS DOUBLE DIPPING! It is mainly Major property management companies that are getting away with this but AIRBNB IS ALLOWING IT! Which is even more crazy! Among other things lots of scams going on with Airbnb! But Airbnb is no longer safe for guests and travelers it is so sad! 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

The november released changed the algorithms quite drastically. This combined with the removal of the superhost filter affected a lot of hosts. There's another topic on it with over 100+ posts. 

I live here in Ireland have the same problem no bookings for 8 weeks when I would normally be very busy 

Hi @Anthony218 

This situation has been a conundrum for many Hosts who previously had an excellent track record. They find themselves not longer visible in earch results and no way to fully understand why the algorithm has placed them at the bottom.  

One thing I have noticed, if you have at least one 3-star review (you do, in December 2023), that could impact your placement in search results, despite the fact your listing has the guest favorite badge? I have read other Hosts who get more than one 3-star review in a short time-frame have received warnings their listing could be suspended. This is especially irritating when a 3-star review is not warranted (sounds like it was an issue with the heat that could have been resolved). This is the dilemma for Hosts and how the review system works (or doesn't work 😠). 

Not sure if you are listed on other platforms, but I would try that to get more visibility. If you are not using social media to market your property, I would give that a go (Instagram). You can also consider a direct booking site. I think you have great photos, but you could also maybe try a new cover photo out for a month or so. Exterior twilight photos seem to do very well on Airbnb. Maybe reshoot the same photo you have now at twilight with all the lights on inside?

Hoping things improve for you!

Anthony218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I've sorted it. Thanks.