Bookings outside of Airbnb

Kathy1444
Level 1
Andover, MA

Bookings outside of Airbnb

Hi, I'm fairly new here. I'm just wondering if I book my place outside of airbnb, should I "block" the dates or "add a booking"? What are the pros and cons to each? TIA!

9 Replies 9

Hi @Kathy1444 

Not sure I fully understand? Are you listed on other platforms? if so, your calendars should be synced to prevent double bookings. There is a delay in syncing calendars, so many hosts manually block the dates until the sync occurs and then remove the manual block.

If you are using a direct booking site, you should also be syncing your calendar to Airbnb to prevent double bookings. 

If you want to use the property for yourself, simply block the dates on your calendar. If you have friends or family that want to stay and you don't want them to have to make a reservation, then I would also just manually block those dates on your calendar.

I do use another another site and the calendars do sync together. I'm speaking of returning guests, for example, that aren't booking through either site but they are still paying guests. 

I want their information on the booking but I will handle the communication. Does this make more sense?

@Kathy1444 

Ok...I see. The only way to add information to blocked dates from another site is to add a note to those dates. Airbnb used to have an at a glance view for notes. Unfortunately, they removed that feature in the Summer 2023 release.

Now you can add a note in the right panel and a black dot will appear on the calendar date indicating you have a note. You will still have to click the private note area to view the note. If you use pro tools and the multicalendar, if you hover over a date, the notes will appear.

Unfortunately, after the dates have past, you cannot access your notes any longer if the reservation was outside Airbnb. Airbnb reservations details will still show the note when the date is past, but you cannot access the note on the regular calendar; you have to go to reservation details to see it.

Many Hosts have had to setup a separate calendar (Google) to enter their notes regarding bookings outside of Airbnb.

Thank you @Joan2709! If I use the option "add booking" what exactly will that do? As opposed to blocking?

Hi @Kathy1444 

I have not seen the "add booking" option on Airbnb? Where is that on Airbnb? 

@Kathy1444  If you ADD a booking AirBnB will generate an invoice and want to send that invoice to your already paid guest.  You need to BLOCK the booking dates of a guest who has booked from a direct contact or alternate site.

@Kathy1444. Kathy, Airbnb isnt interested in supporting bookings that they dont get their cut from. If you agree to take direct bookings then you will need to manage them yourself and block your calendar dates. This includes gathering all their information (which you may not have had before), taking payment, offering terms, insurance coverage, etc.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kathy1444 Just be careful when you block dates. Airbnb works on nights not days so it can look/be a bit confusing.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Kathy1444 👋

Did any of the answers below help you resolve the issue? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

If you need any help, just shout.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines