Broken Furnace

Answered!

Broken Furnace

I am new to hosting, and I just got my first longer term guest (2 months). The furnace pilot light went out and I went over to fix it as soon as they messaged me. If it does keep going out, as it went out for my last guest too, is there anything the guest can do legally, or is their only option is cancel/ask for a refund? 

They mentioned moving here and they have a lot of stuff in the unit, if the furnace does officially go out and I request to move them, am I required to pay to move their stuff they brought as they would require a UHaul to move out.

If this helps, this was their last message to me and I don't know how to take it.

"if you can see it. just fyi, of course you probably only thought about yourself, trying to get the last breath out of your hvac system, hoping it'd last you one more winter. this could be hugely costly to me. my hourly rate is $59.7. anytime I need to take from work is that amount *8. also there is uhual costs. I have my belongings from Virginia here, thinking I'd have them here until I buy a new home. then there is mover cost, there are things in here I cannot move myself"

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Brandon731  By your post it is logical to assume that they are already aggressive and accusatory.

It may hurt, but a firm decision must be made, if you feel this potential problem may become a show stopper, by them staying you are inviting not only to loose the income, but also opening a hassle about their 'stuff', plus a heart attack trying to please these people. As is they are using your place as lodging and storage of their personal belongings.  I would be stone-cold direct with them - we will try this, if it doesn't work, you will be moving out. They will have a tough time collecting beyond the lodging fees.

I  learned something 3 months ago, if something goes wrong (i.e. a potential show stopper and I suspect a bad attitude from a guest) they do not enter the place, period. Problems require solutions and good nature from all parties, not immediately plunging into the blame game. That is definitely all the red flag I need to pull the plug on a stay.

Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Brandon731  By your post it is logical to assume that they are already aggressive and accusatory.

It may hurt, but a firm decision must be made, if you feel this potential problem may become a show stopper, by them staying you are inviting not only to loose the income, but also opening a hassle about their 'stuff', plus a heart attack trying to please these people. As is they are using your place as lodging and storage of their personal belongings.  I would be stone-cold direct with them - we will try this, if it doesn't work, you will be moving out. They will have a tough time collecting beyond the lodging fees.

I  learned something 3 months ago, if something goes wrong (i.e. a potential show stopper and I suspect a bad attitude from a guest) they do not enter the place, period. Problems require solutions and good nature from all parties, not immediately plunging into the blame game. That is definitely all the red flag I need to pull the plug on a stay.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. We were hurting for income and didn't feel we had any other choice but they were definitely a hassle even before they actually booked.

In the future we learned it is not worth the hassle.

I hear you, not an easy choice, at all. Hurst to the core to get a lousy guest, and plenty of them to go around, a few times. Good luck.

Thanks again, only 6 more weeks to go... They even talked about possibly needing another month, but they kind of burnt that possibility.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brandon731 I don't believe there is any way that you become liable for the guest's moving expenses (or time for that matter). I would give the guest the choice between putting up with repairs or moving out with a refund for nights not stayed. Do make sure any refund goes through Airbnb as the guest will not have paid in full for the 2 months yet.

Oh and you should also check your state law with respect to tenancies. This guests sounds unreasonable and you might find yourself in a very difficult place after the first month.