Buyer Beware

Buyer Beware

I reserved a home in Austin, Tx for March 10-13th but was forced to cancel due to a family emergency. According to the cancellation policy on my reservation, I could cancel by March 4th to get half of my deposit. I cancelled the reservation on Feb 23rd. I waited about a week to receive my refund, but it never came. I contacted the host on Feb 28th and he told me that according to the cancellation policy, I should receive the full refund. He told me that everything was automated by Airbnb. I felt better since the host said that all was good, so I waited a few more days. By March 3rd, I still hadn't received my refund, so I contacted Airbnb. They told me that I'd cancelled in time so I should receive at least half my refund. The rep put me on hold to see why I hadn't been refunded. When he came back on the line, he told me that I would receive none of my money because I didn't pay at least 50% of the $2800. I asked him to send this new cancellation policy to me in writing. He told me that he would have to contact the host to see if I could receive any of my money. When he called me back, he told me that the host refused to refund me any money. I thought this was strange because of my initial contact with the host who assured me that according to the policy that he was aware of, I should be refunded. I mean how do you as the owner of the policy not know what cancellation policy is in effect? I asked for a link to file a resolution which I never received. I contacted the host again, and he told me about this "new" policy and said I should have seen it on the contract. I informed him that the only contract I was given was my reservation with the cancellation policy on it. He said I needed to call airbnb to get one. Why would I call for a contract after the reservation was cancelled? So, then the host told me that all of this information was in the booking details. I told him that those details should not have been hidden from the guest. When I reserved the room, this information should have been presented. It certainly should have been printed on my reservation as well. Why did this information not present itself upon cancellation? I called Airbnb several times after this with the same results. I was finally able to file for a resolution but still haven't received this "new" policy in writing. I'm thinking the next step is small claims court. I've reported this incident to several consumer reporting agencies.

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lana1151 I don't know if the information when booking is clear but this is a common misunderstanding among guests. The 50% refund is from the total amount payable for a reservation so if a guest has only paid 50% at the point of cancellation then they get nothing back. This is not a new policy but has been in existence for years.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Lana1151 Ask your host for a written confirmation and file your claim with your travel insurance.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  @Lana1151 

I think you are confused. If you cancelled a booking and the cancellation fee was 50% and you only paid 50% of the total cost in the first place then you obviously wouldn't be entitled to any refund 

for example

total cost of booking =€200

total amount paid by guest = €100

balance due = €100

guest cancels booking and is charged 50% cancellation fee =€100

you therefore aren't entitled to a refund as you have paid nothing toward the 50% outstanding balance 

there is no new cancellation policy . Your refund was processed correctly under the cancellation policy you booked under which would have been shown when you booked .

I can't imagine how you would have a successful claim in small claims court when your cancellation has been processed under the cancellation policy you booked under.

as you had to cancel because of a family emergency have you made a claim under your travel insurance.